Chapter 44 - A Fated Choice

---Kyle's POV---

Waking up with warm arms wrapped around you was one of the best feelings in the world. I simply rolled on my side, nuzzling closer and sighing contently.

Drake was still deeply asleep, breath puffing past his lips in a steady pattern. After our dip in the hot springs yesterday, we had simply relaxed and enjoyed dinner. Enjoyed some time between us without any interruptions.

In a way, I wondered how I got this lucky with my Choice mate. And also wondered why I had to go through the entire ordeal with Max, if he was supposed to be my Fated mate.

After all, weren't Fated mates supposed to be a perfect fit? To match you in every single way possible, like two pieces of a puzzle?

Instead of merging completely and living a happily ever after, we had clashed and split apart. I was left, scarred for life and all over a bias against nomadic wolves, underlying racism that made pack wolves look down on nomadic wolves for no reason except bias, rumors and lack of information.

A sigh escaped me before I smiled when Drake subconsciously pulled me tighter against him. Pondering about the past wasn't going to change it.

It may help my future, to understand what happened so I could heal and leave this mess behind me. But that also meant actually meeting up with Max, to see what he had to say.

More importantly, to question him about his actions. Why did he attack me? Why did he put the blame on me? Why, after already being mated, did he not trust me?

I knew it wasn't my fault. I had proven myself time and time again, taking care of the pack's pups, coming to the Luna's aid when rogues had pierced through the pack's borders.

If I truly had been a rogue, it would've made sense to be at the Luna's side when the other's arrived. Because everyone would've been distracted with the new intruders and would not have focused on me.

A true rogue could've done just that. Lie in ambush with the Luna so that when she and the pack's pups were brought to the safehouse, it would've been a quick and easy massacre.

Instead, I have hurried to her side, helping her get in with all the pack pups and fighting off rogues left and right. Back then , I hadn't thought about the consequences, hadn't wondered about those rogues.

If I had been anything like them, I would've hesitated. Wouldn't have attacked them with the ferocity that I had. Hell, Gavin had been at a rogue's mercy. And he was the one who had always questioned my loyalty.

I never understood why the pack reacted like they did. I mean, they had already gone through several attacks and I had heard through the grapevine that a child had gotten severely injured during the raid where I was banished.

For the pack, it made sense to draw conclusions when I was attacked by my own mate. The manner in which they found me, coated in blood while standing over an unconscious Gavin certainly didn't help my crumbling image.

But still. To lash out with murderous intent after I had lived among them, knew them for so long.

I would probably never fully understand their reasoning. Most likely it was fed by panic and anger, frustration that rogues had managed to pierce their safe haven.

But to condemn an innocent person to death, without trial? Shaking my head, I huddled closer to Drake and nearly yelped when my eyes clashed with his own.

"Good morning, my heart." He murmured, pressing a kiss to my forehead before slipping out of the bed. My eyes shamelessly devoured every bared inch of his flesh, making him chuckle and creating a flush on my cheeks at being caught.