Chapter 12 - Why?

---Max's POV---

Patrols darted by in wolf form, disappearing into the night. And I sat here, completely useless as my wolf refused to give me any semblance of control over either form. When I attempted to do my share in the workload and went on patrol, it tended to shift back mid run, leaving me to dive face first in the mud.

Other moments, I would be human and going about my daily routine until my wolf threw a fit, leaving me naked on the floor with several people of the pack looking on in slight shock as tattered clothes twirled down.

A sigh escaped my lips as I leaned against the wall, waiting for the Alpha to return. After my spectacular nose dive, I had been placed under supervision until they found out what was wrong with me.

My wolf growled deeply, digging its claws in my mind and dragging them down to produce one hell of a throbbing headache.

" I want my mate!" He hissed venomously before leaving me in silence, shaking and gagging from the pain. I sagged against the wall and shivered, enjoying the cool breeze on my heated skin.

Kyle...

It wasn't the first time that I thought back to when I met my mate. My mind was a broken recorder, rewinding every little moment I shared with him. Kyle never had given me any idea that he was a true rogue, a lone wolf without semblance of humanity.

He had been kind and gentle, especially loving the moments he was tasked with guarding the pups for the day. Even with people casting their doubts over him and treating him with suspicion and distrust for his past, he had been nothing but understanding and polite.

So, why had I been so eager to draw conclusions? Why did I attack him without questioning his reasons? The truth was that there wasn't an answer to that question. When I saw my brother laying underneath Kyle, wounded and close to death, I hadn't stopped to think.

I merely remembered all the times my brother had spoken up his distaste for Kyle. Ever since we had met, Gavin had disliked Kyle and our quick acceptance of my mate. He had felt we moved too quickly, especially by accepting a rogue into our pack without any investigation towards his intentions.

All rogues we had encountered so far were known for their ruthlessness. They attacked on sight, like rabid mangey dogs as they lashed out without reason.

Instinctively, my wolf knew that Kyle wasn't like that. It knew Kyle to be pure, just a misunderstood loner who wanted nothing more than to find a place to belong.

"And I've taken that away from him... I made Kyle lower his defenses, only to punch him in the face when I reached him..."

"Max..."

I looked up, bowing my head in respect to the Alpha as he grabbed a chair to sit beside the bed, not even offering me a helping hand as I crawled on top of it. He simply twirled the seat around so he could rest his crossed arms over the back, legs spread as he sighed deeply.

"I've visited your brother and parents to hear their side of the story as well, along with the doctors and nurses who treated both Gavin and you. I even talked to my wife, whom already had her doubts about the whole situation." He glared at me as his wolf slipped out a tiny growl.

I flinched, knowing that I had caused quite a disturbance between the Alpha and his mate. She had instantly spoken up for Kyle, mentioning that he was the first one to come to her aid and bring the pups in. She had seen him get attacked by rogues and had pleaded his case but due to my attack on him, many had turned a deaf ear and ignored her.