Chapter 6: Just Don't

I couldn't sleep. First week staying in the new Avengers tower and I couldn't sleep, I think I closed my eyes for about half an hour and that was it.

I climbed out of bed and changed into a crop top and shorts, I stood in front of my floor length mirror and tied my hair up into a tight ponytail. I slipped on my socks and trainers then I walked out my room grabbing a small towel on my way out.

I jogged down a few flights of stairs to the gym; Tony Stark really had this placed decked out with everything, we had a cinema room, gym, sauna, swimming pool, three different assault courses which were very high tech, we had a shooting range, gaming room, four different sitting rooms and the garage below the tower was insane!

As I pushed the door open I was shocked to see the lights were on. I tiptoed into the gym and saw Steve was sitting on a bench, he had his hand wraps on, he was covered in sweat and looked really sad. I shook my head and went over to the wall which had an outline of a man on it, then dotted in its outline were flashing targets; When a target flashed you had to hit it, the targets would flick faster and faster every time you hit them.

I could feel Steve's eyes on my as I threw my towel on the bench then I threw my phone on top of it; Over the last couple of days I began to realise how much I did look like my parents, I had my mother's looks and height for sure but my eyes were definitely my Dads, as for my hair well it was a almost two different colours brown and blonde. I also realised that Steve was an artist too, I walked into the sitting room and saw Steve sketching the flowers that were on the coffee table, we also stood a similar way, we both stood with our arms crossed whenever we were listening to someone talk... It was weird.

I tapped the target in the middle of the outlined man starting up the machine, I made sure my feet were on the out line that was on the floor and a light scanned my body.

"Welcome Seven," The machine greeted. "Ready!"

The targets flashed slowly to start with giving me time to work out which target was flashing but the quicker I hit the targets the quicker they changed. I kicked and punched as quick as I could. Suddenly Loki invaded my mind-

"Does he know, does the soldier know who you are yet or are you finding some satisfaction in torturing him and yourself?" Loki taunted.

"NO!" I shouted and punched the head of the outline.

Loki was still in my head. "Not easy is it, being the outcast of them all," He whispered. "Being bred for one purpose and one purpose alone, child soldier!"

I hit the target that was in the stomach of the outline and the machine stopped. "Training level complete, congratulations Seven."

I raised my fist to hit the target again but I was stopped by someone grabbing my wrist. "I think the machine's had enough," Steve stated. "Couldn't sleep?"

I lowered my fist and relaxed. "New place," I stated. "The only times I stayed away from HQ over night was for missions."

Without looking at Steve I turned round and started to walk over to the running machine. I climbed onto the machine and started it up, I set the pace at a walk then to my annoyance Steve climbed onto the machine next to me setting the machine at the same pace so I tapped the button making the speed go up, so I was now running and Steve copied; What was his game?

I tapped the button so I was running as fast as I possibly could and so was Steve. Natasha always told me not to get competitive but now was my chance to see just how alike our abilities really were.

We both said nothing, we just kept running and running, for two hours we ran on the machines at max speed; Sweat poured from our bodies and our breathing was heavy as we were sprinting.