Chapter 11: Adjusting

I sat next to the window in my bedroom that was within Steve's apartment. I was silent and I had been since I moved in with Steve two weeks ago. I looked around my room, cream walls and light brown laminate floor, a single bed under the window, I had a desk, laptop, a closet and a dresser.

Steve said I could paint the walls but I wasn't feeling creative, I felt lost and alone in this mundane world I now lived in, everyday was the same and everyday was pointless. 

Packing my stuff up at the Avengers tower was hard, Clint and Natasha could hardly speak as Steve and I left. Fury kept calling Steve wanting him to come back to the Avengers but he ignored all his calls, Steve made me leave my phone at the tower and brought me a brand new one without Clint and Natasha's numbers... Within a few days I was seriously missing the agent side of my life, it was all I had ever known, now all I did in my free time was sit and do nothing, I would call Peter after school or he would come here and sit on the fire escape outside my window, he tried so hard to make me smile but I just couldn't.

Tying up my hair I walked out my bedroom and into the living room/ kitchen. Steve's apartment was small, full of books, he had an old record player and a stereo, in the corner of the room was a basic TV. I went into the kitchen and looked through the cupboards pulling out a box of cheerios, I sat on the small couch tossing the small cereal into the air and catching it in my mouth.

I had become a slob, I didn't train, I didn't go out, well only to school because Steve forced me out the apartment; Two days after I moved in we had a shouting match at six in the morning. Steve came into my room announcing it was time for me to go to school 'to have fun' but no I didn't want to go, I didn't want to even leave my room, I climbed out of bed and the shouting began... Our poor neighbours.  

Both Peter and Ned had invited me over to their places but I wasn't in the mood for all that, thankfully they were both understanding; I had told Ned about what was going on, he was a good friend and I really trusted him, as you can imagine Ned nearly exploded with excitement about who I was and who my Father was until we got detention and that stupid clip of my Father played causing me to throw pencils at the screen for an hour. 

As I lay on the couch I looked at the coffee table, well under the coffee table, there were a few loose papers under there. I rolled off the couch and crouched down gently, I pulled the papers out and saw they were pencil drawing of me back at the Avengers tower sitting on the kitchen counter reading, another drawing was of me standing next to a young Peggy Carter and the last drawing-

"Finally, you're up," Steve said as he entered the apartment closing the door behind him. "You know I had to google if it was normal for teenagers to sleep in till two in the afternoon and not eat proper food. You're worrying me."

In annoyance I placed the drawings down on the coffee table and continued to eat the cheerios out of the box I had left on the couch not responding to Steve. Since my arrival here it was pretty clear that Steve googled almost everything, he did come into my room a few times wanting help with the internet, of course I helped him but I still refused to speak, I would walk in and out of rooms not making a verbal sound as I didn't trust the words that would come out of my mouth. 

"You know you're supposed to eat those in a bowl, with milk and a spoon?" Steve asked.

I looked at Steve then I tossed a cheerio in the air and caught it in my mouth, I shrugged then stood up walking back to my room but Steve stood in front of me towering over me. Trust me if I was stronger I would happily push him out the way! 

"Want me to drive you to Peter's?" He offered and I continued to just stare at him. "You're not doing this Sky, sleep, eat and school. It's not healthy, we could go to the park?"