Chapter 21: Let's Do This

A/N- So sorry for the slow update. Life has been crazy and I've not been in the right head space but I'm back so here's a small chapter to get the ball rolling again. Thank you for sticking around x 

I was sat in the briefing room waiting for the other Avengers to arrive. Grayson was sat next to me with his head on the table groaning and moaning; He really didn't remember much from last night well apart from saving me of course, he was sick all night and now felt very rough, I had given him plenty of water and fed him some toast to ease his stomach pain but it clearly didn't help.

"If you're going to be sick then do it over there away from me," I told Grayson who only put his thumb up to me. 

Steve had asked everyone to come to the briefing room to fill us in on why his and Natasha's mission was cut short. I knew Steve didn't sleep last night, he looked pale this morning and irritated which wasn't like him at all.

Slowly everyone started entering the room. Bruce and Natasha came in together, Loki then followed by Thor, followed by Clint and Maria, Steve entered with Fury and last by no means least Tony looking as rough as Grayson did. Tony was actually wearing sunglasses to protect his eyes from the bright lights and stop him from possibly throwing up again. 

Then to my complete shock Ross walked in wearing his usual suit and carrying a brown file in his hand and looked at all of us like we were dirt under his shoes. 

"And who invited you?" I snapped at Ross causing Grayson to moan at the noise level. 

"Can you not shout?" Grayson grumbled. 

"Sky please," Steve said as he stood next to Fury. "Not now."

Ross looked at Grayson. "What the hells happened to X-20?" He asked then looked at me. "You!"

I crossed my arms as Grayson sat up trying to compose himself but winched at the bright lights. "It's Grayson now Sir," The brunette next to me stated.

"You don't have to call him sir," I told Grayson. "He's not your master. He just some guy who looks like the cartoon on the pringle tins!"

"Quiet Agent Seven, you never knew how to show respect to higher authority!" Ross snapped then glared at Grayson. "This isn't a game X- 20, you were here to train Agent Seven, push her to become a Government agent, not to play!"

Grayson looked incredibly hurt by Ross' words. The boy sat back in his chair and looked down at his hands in guilt; Why did he feel guilty?

"Why are you such an asshole?" I asked in temper. "No wonder your wife left you."

"Oh burn!" Clint cheered.   

"I love her!" Tony laughed. 

"SKY!" Steve shouted and I rolled my eyes. "That's enough!" 

"I can assure you that my agents have been training every day, giving one hundred percent-" Fury began.

Grayson leaned to the side and began to violently vomit all over the floor and cough gasping for air. Everyone groaned at the sight and turned away, I smirked at Ross as I watched his anger bubble then I looked at Steve who pinched the ridge of his nose looking down at the floor in disappointment.

Ross walked over to me and stood in front of me. "You stupid child, when will you ever grow up!" He shouted but as he went to grab my shirt but Grayson's claws came out and became a barrier between me and Ross.

"You keep your hands off her!" Grayson said breathlessly. "We're ready for our first mission together."

I looked at Grayson as he glared at Ross; I hope this doesn't start becoming a thing, him coming to my rescue whenever some loser tries to get in my face. Yes I was grateful for last night but right now I can handle Ross, I have done for years.

It was now I noticed that Steve had taken a few steps forward. Grayson put his claws away and Ross backed off. Fury cleared his throat awkwardly as he looked between myself and Grayson then he smirked just a little bit making me smile.

"Last night's mission was cut short due to this," Steve said then held up a file. "These are records of James Barnes, Seven Rogers and Weapon X-20. This is what we recovered. This file has everything, how they were able to create you and how you have developed."

"Where was that file?" Grayson asked.

"India," Natasha spoke up. "We destroyed the lab and took the lab rats into custody, after several hours of interrogation we now know this information has been copied and sent to more labs. We were able to find three more labs across the globe."

Ross looked directly at Grayson and I. "They were trying to recreate both your DNA," He stated. "And using the same psychological techniques to create their weapons to do as Barns did, they are being made to kill without question."

I looked at Ross. "How could they recreate our DNA?" I asked loudly but got no response. "They can't recreate something they don't have, unless?" 

Steve was shooting daggers at Ross. "Are you going to tell her?" He asked Ross. 

Seeing that Ross had suddenly gone mute Natasha took a step forward. "The Government took samples from the two of you often to study your development, Hydra was in SHIELD and in the Government, someone somewhere messed up and trusted the wrong person," She explained. "Both your DNA's were taken on more than one occasion." 

Grayson laughed dryly. "So we're cleaning up the mess that you and your team created?" He asked Ross.

I guess I had been rubbing off on Grayson.  

"My agent has a point," Fury stated coldly. 

Ross cleared his throat. "The remaining labs are in Sweden, Japan and Italy," He spoke up then looked at Fury. "I want the labs cleared and rats captured." 

Grayson and I glared at Ross one last time as he left the room shutting the door behind him. Since the day I met Ross I hated him, everything was his way or the highway and if he didn't like you then he would make it clear. Coulson admitted to me that Ross disliked me because I was a girl, he wanted an exact replica of Steve Rogers but unfortunately got me. 

"I want this situation dealt with quickly so I am going to send you out in small teams. Romanoff and Barton I'm sending you and other SHIELD Agents to Japan. Stark, Captain and Thor you are going to Spain, you will also go with some SHIELD Agents as support, Loki you are not yet mission ready," Fury explained. 

"Argh finally some peace and quiet in this place," Loki said as he leaned back in his chair. 

Fury cleared his throat. "The smallest lab is in Italy, Agent Seven and Agent... Agent... What are we calling you now?" He asked in confusion.  

Grayson shrugged and looked slightly uncomfortable. "We'll work you a last name out," Tony spoke up making the brunette smile a little. 

"Right. You two are going to Italy, Bruce will be here over seeing your mission. You will also be accompanied by some other Agents but I believe the two of you are ready to take on these missions," Fury told us. "Seven you are more than capable of taking on this mission." 

I looked at Steve then I looked at Grayson... It was time to be a team.