Chapter 16: Remember

We had such a fun night. But it's time for us to get back home. I went to the car and buckled my seatbelt, it was such an exhausting evening.

"So? " he started buckling his own seatbelt.

"So? So what? " I asked making him continue.

"You had fun? " he asked, why wkd he still ask, isn't it obvious?

"Yeah" I said and focused my eyes on the road.

We stopped when the lights turn red, we are at a intersection road, kinds of familiar exactly.

The light turned green and then a big headache attacked me.

"Ahhh! " I groaned in pain.

"Amethyst you okay? " he asked out of concern.

There's these images appearing again,  but this time it feels so real.

I can hear a loud horn in my head, a truck coming right at us! I was in the backseat with my parents...

An image in school where I always clash with Lara.

At my house and the playground where David and I always hang out.

I remember it all.

"What is this?! "I asked myself out of frustration.

"What's wrong? " he asked, I snapped my head at him, he aged but I was reborn.

"No. " I said in disbelief

"Davy? " I said in a low voice enough for him to hear.

He stopped the car on the side of the road and looked at me.

"Kaella? No I mean Amethyst. " he said gathering himself.

"I remember it. I remember it all" I said looking at my hands,  looking anywhere but him.

"You do? " he asked out of excitement.

"Why? " I asked confused on what's happening.

"What do you mean why? You're back. You can come back with me now. " he said taking my hands.

"No. " I said taking it back.

"This shouldn't happen, I'm not Kaella! " I said tearing up, even if I am her before those memories should be buried forever.

"Stop talking nonsense you are her" he said snapping me out of it.

"No David! I'm not her. Look at me, look at you! I'm not that girl you used to know! She's dead!" Shouting at him, he needs to move on from her, I need to live a new life.

"No please. We can fix this. All you have to do is stay, stay with me" he said making his tears fall down non-stop.

"David, you know I can't. I shouldn't" I said following his tears.

As I said,  I didn't hate David. But that doesn't mean I love him. I see him as a friend,  he's even older than my father. I'm here to repay him for saving me, and making the promise I made,  just 3 months.

"You should! Do you know how long I waited? I know you will never gonna comeback, but you're here now. Stay" he said pleading.

"David. Hear me out" I said fixing my seat and facing him.

"I'm Amethyst, not Kaella. I'm a 20 years old girl who's a fan of a 54 years old writer, that's you. " I explained to him

"But-" I know what he's about to say so I interrupt him.

"She's dead David. I'm the other person now. I may look like her, sound like her,  and even have her memories now but, I'm not her" I said making him cry even more.

"I-i love you" he said keeping his head low.

"I love you too David. But not as a man, but as a friend" I finalize. He needs to accept the truth, and expressing myself is the only way.

"So what now? " he asked wiping his tears away and holding the steering wheel.

"It's time to let go" I said facing in front.

"I can't" he said facing me again.

"You must" I said and left the car.

"I will come back to your house tomorrow to get my stuffs back" I said closing the door.

"Wait! " he shouted following me outside.

"You're leaving? " he said.

"That's the right thing to do David. And that's what we agreed upon right? " I said.

"But we still have less than a month. " he complained.

"With the situation right now? We can't do this anymore" I removed the necklace and handed it to him.

"You can have this back" I said, he didn't took it and pushed my hand slowly back to me.

"Keep it. I that belongs to you." He said fixing himself up.

"Well I guess this is good-bye? " he said trying hard not to cry. How can my grandpa be such a crybaby.

"Nope. We can still be friends, and you can still be my mentor. But for now I need to get back home and let the things die down. " I said making him feel a little better.

"I guess then. So see you tomorrow? " he said going back to the car and left.

"See you" I said when he left I took a cab and booked a hotel to stay in for the night. I also booked a ticket for a flight back to the Philippines tomorrow.

I'm glad I got to have these memories back. But I have a different life now. And so does he. And the only thing we can do now is to remember.