Chapter 18: Fly Away

(David's POV)

"Dad you sure you will drive her there" Albert protested at my plan to drive Amethyst at the airport.

"Son, I'm okay just gonna send her off" I replied fixing my jacket, he sighed clearly against of it.

*ding*

The doorbell rang, she's here. I went to the door holding all of her stuffs and opened it.

"Hi" she greeted without any awkward wind.

"Hi, shall we go? " I said showing her luggage, she just smiled as a respond.

"I'll be back shortly Albert, be a good boy" I reminded my son while exiting the house.

"Yes dad" he shouted back.

We both entered the car and drove away.

"Uhm. You okay? " I asked her trying to start a conversation, the silence in the car makes me crazy.

"Yeah I'm fine." She responded keeping her eyes upfront.

I can't think of any other things to ask her, I might end up messing it up anyways so I just let the silence eat us the whole trip.

We arrived at the airport, she took her seatbelt off and went out. I followed her and took all of her luggage.

"It's fine I can do it" she protested.

"Let me. Please" I pleaded, I want to do this for her, for the last time.

"You know you didn't need to drive me here right? I could have just booked a cab" she said while both of us are walking towards the gate.

"I want to do this, it might be the last time I see you. I want to make the most of it" I said looking at her.

"David-" I interrupted her, I know what she's gonna say and I want her to know I'm fine with it.

"I know Amethyst. Maybe for now I'm still in pain, but I promise I'll be okay. Like you said, she's dead" I said trying to keep my tear from falling, no David you can't cry, not anymore.

She stopped from walking and faced me. She just stood there and looked at me.

"You okay? " I asked her wondering what's in her head.

"I'm wondering how everything had gone to this" she said lowering her head.

I sighed and gave her a hug.

"David-"
"Just let me, just this once." She didn't protest anymore and just let me hug her for the last time.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I was blinded by pain, by regret, I never accepted that she's dead and I'm sorry I drove you in here, in this mess" I said finally letting my tears fall soaking her jacket.

She hugged me back and patted my back.

"Come on. How come someone as old as you can be such a crybaby." She said and we just laughed at our stupidity.

We pulled away and I wiped my tears.

"I guess this is good-bye" I said giving her stuff.

"Not a good-bye, but see you again. We're still friends right? " she asked lending her hand.

"Friends" I said smiling at her and shaking her hand.

She pulled away and walked inside the gates, I waved at her and she waved back good-bye. I stood her looking at her leave, I stood there until she disappear on my sight.

I went back to the car and started the engine, I took one last look on the gates and drove away.

I played some solemn music while driving, I was happy not because she left, but because I finally let her go. As I was driving I saw a plane on the sky, in any moments, in any hour from now, she will be finally far away from me.

"Have a safe trip. Good-bye old friend. " I said and continued to drive as the plane fly away.