Dream or Reality

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." - Edger Allen Poe

He laughed. She smiled as she bit in a fruit.

"Well, I've never done anything like that. But I have had my day when I got what I wanted." Arma said.

Aisling enjoyed the afternoon with the educated. This is life. Perfect. The palm trees and fruit trees gave shade. It was a beautiful courtyard with a foundation in the middle and sitting areas around it. She was enjoying the nice weather today.

There were children playing by the foundation. Their laugher and enjoyment were contagious.

Matt was about to speak when a shout stopped them. Everyone in the courtyard turned to the entrance. There was Ry coming with his servants and loyal men. A few of the children ran to him. She got up out of respect.

As the man came closer he looked over at her. His golden eyes capture her. She became dizzy and her head pounded.

Please, no stop. She tried to say but they put another syringe needle in her. The metal bit into her wrist. She was tied down to a lab chair. Her body shivered. The cold air unwelcoming on her skin. She felt too exposed. The dress didn't cover much.

"Check her vitals." A woman spoke. There was something odd about her. Her pink lips were gross.

"Hold, look at this." Someone else spoke.

The vision faded.

"Mhmm." Aisling groaned and sat down. Her head dropped to her hand. She couldn't think.

She laid down on the bed. The light in her room was much better than outside. Someone came in and cover all the windows. The light of the fires was much better. The pain seemed to fade away.

Aisling managed to fall asleep.

This was her favorite garden in the palace. Two sides overlooked a city and ocean. Just past the city could be seen a meadow and forest. There was nothing stopping a person from going over the cliff of the hill they were on. The other two sides were walls of the place.

There was only one way in or out here. The entrance in the corner.

It was the plants here, along with the view, that made it her favorite. The tall trees were in the back overhang the sitting areas. From there there were bushes then small flowers with nothing blocking the view. There was order in what appeared to be unordered.

Many came to look at the view and not sit in the trees, but she liked sitting here. That's how Matt found her. Staring out at the sky.

"You're invited to dinner at the hall."

She looked up at him. "Don't joke. You know someone like me never sits with the greats."

"I'm not I promise. Oren told me you're invited."

"Oren." The name a whisper. The man was powerful.

"Yes."

"Okay. I'll go I promise."

"Good. I was unsure there. Please, don't thank."

"Sorry, it just unbelievable."

"Yes, it is. The hall. I've only been there twice you. Have I told you about it?"

"Only every time you can." Aisling laughed.

Her eyes felt heavy and she slipped into a dream.

"Why isn't she waking up? What's wrong with her?" Someone shout.

"We didn't know." A man said.
Someone poke at her arm. The sting hurt. Her body felt cold as if she sat on metal.

"She has been going in and out. We need a brain scan." A man in a blue coat said. Something tasted of iron.

"Fine do it." A woman said. There was something familiar about her.

She woke up in her room. It wasn't evening yet. She still had time before dinner. She got up and wandered around the rooms before slipping into the hallway.

There weren't many people. The hallway was dark with light but she could see just fine. She found herself in a main hallway where people were moving.

It was as if no one saw her as she walked. Everyone moved out of her way and didn't look her way. She felt invisible.

Aisling got out of the main hallway and into a side hallway. She just wandered through the hallways and rooms.

As walked down a hallway with windows on one side Matt came towards her.

"What's wrong? You're in deep thought." He joined her.

"I feel lost. Like I don't belong here."

"Because you don't."

Aisling looked at him. "What do you mean?"

"Don't you remember? Right, you wouldn't. You're not physically here. Your mind and soul are but not you. That's why everything is disconnected for you. Why you wondered the palace."

Aisling turned towards him. Her vision of him blurred and she found herself in a bedroom. The bedroom that she thought was hers but wasn't.

She went over to the bed and collapsed. She felt real. She could touch the bed. Feel the silk cover and firmness of the bed. What is reality?