Chapter Forty-Four: The Titan War Pt10

Previously...

Everyone onboard the Argo held their breath as the smoke cleared, revealing Godzilla lying still in a massive crater. Rodan had awoken and freed himself from the rubble, but was too weak to rejoin the fight as he limped to a safe place on the edge of the battlefield and slumped to the ground on his stomach. The Alpha Predator's eyes fluttered halfway open, accompanied by the weak sounds of breathing and subtle puffs of steam from his nose.

"He's still alive." Sam said quietly.

"Barely." Rick replied halfheartedly.

Ghidorah, meanwhile, landed at the edge of the crater looking down at the once proud Alpha Predator.  Ghidorah's three heads cackled loudly as he flared his wings as if declaring his victory.

~*~*~

The collected mood had darkened considerably. With Godzilla lying in a heap at the center of a deep crater, Ghidorah cackling down at him from the upper edge, Mothra on her last legs, Rodan having retreated to the edge of the battlefield to recuperate, while the Jaegers seem to be on their knees and unable to focus, the future of this battle now seemed a foregone conclusion.

"Anyone got any idea?" Barnes asked.

"Nah, man." A soldier replied.

"Mark, maybe we can do something?" Emma said, tugging his arm.

"And what exactly can we do against that thing?" He asked.

Emma rolled her eyes. "If we can get the ORCA working again, we can at least distract it for a few minutes and give Godzilla and maybe those Jaegers some time to get back in the fight." She replied.

"Wait. You want to get that thing's attention? What about Maddie?" Mark retorted.

"Dad! Don't treat me like a helpless kid!" Maddie yelled back.

"But-"

"Mark. Listen. We need Godzilla back on his feet. He's our best chance to survive this." Emma said.

"Oh, sure. Let's just get Ghidorah's attention and have him come eat us as a distraction!" Mark scoffed.
"Will you stop it?!"
"Stop what, Emma?"
"Stop acting like I haven't thought this through! You think I want my daughter to be put in danger?!"
"You didn't seem to have any problems with it until now!"

Emma's jaw dropped, as did Maddie's. Barnes was about to break them up when a gunshot resounded and caused a soldier to drop to the ground. Maddie screamed as her mother shielded her eyes and Mark stepped in front of both of them on instinct as Jonah and his minions encircled the group with weapons drawn.

"Drop your weapons, gentlemen." Jonah said calmly to Barnes and the others.

"You first, big man." Barnes retorted.

Jonah shook his head. "That's not how this works. We've got more men, and more guns. We give the orders. Now drop your weapons." Jonah's men all took a half step forward and placed their fingers over the triggers. Barnes and his men glanced to one another and slowly put their weapons down. Once they were disarmed, Jonah waved his hand and his men retrieved the dropped weapons and herded Barnes and the others to the side in a line while Jonah approached the Russel family. "Welcome to hell, everyone." He announced, gesturing to Ghidorah who was now taking flight and circling above Godzilla, still cackling. Still taunting. "Monster Zero is going to wipe Godzilla and his two followers from this Earth, and then he's going to set his sights on us. Humanity. The disease that has this beautiful planet in a strangle hold. And once he's done, he'll-"