Chapter 48

(Y/N)'s POV:

I wake up to a soft voice calling my name. "Baby, baby."

I put my hands over my eyes as the lights are too bright. When my eyes finally adjust to the lighting in the room, I see a doctor, who, I figured, Katie had been talking to.

"He says they're allowing visitors. Do you want to go?" Katie asks me, placing some strands of my hair back behind my ear.

I quickly nod, processing the information. "Yes, please."

I stand up and follow the doctor, Katie behind me. Once we reach the room, the doctor stops and looks at me.

"Before you go in, I have to inform you that the patient is in a coma. We found poisoning in her system, and as we further analyzed her, there was a head injury that caused a lot of bleeding."

I was shocked. But I was also angry. This had to be Dominic. He put Alyssa in this state.

"Whenever you're ready, you're allowed to go in. One visitor only." The doctor left.

I felt Katie's soft hand wrap around mine. I turned around and she immediately hugged me, placing her hand around my neck as she softly kissed me. "It's okay, baby."

"I don't want to go in alone." I whispered, my eyes falling to the floor.

"Hey, you can do it, baby." I felt her hand on my chin as she carefully lifted my chin up to her. "Sometimes we have to do things alone, but in the end, we're never alone. We always have that person who stays and helps, even if it has to be in the distance." Her beautiful emerald eyes had the power to restore one's faith. She made me feel calm and loved just by looking at me. "I love you." She ended her mini Ted talk with another kiss on my lips. Her lips were so soft; I didn't want her to stop kissing me.

I gave her a small smile as I turned to enter the room. As I put my hand on the handle, I turned back around and said one last thing to Katie, "Thank you for being here."

***

Inside the room, everything was gloomy and dull. The beep of the heart monitor was the only sound, along with the whooshing sound of Alyssa's struggling breathing on the ventilator.

My heart began to pound against my chest, louder every time I took a step closer to the bed.

As I came closer to her, I started to notice how pale her skin was, her head wrapped around a white bandage, and how helpless her body seemed.

Tears unexpectedly fell from my eyes. I shook my head seeing the destruction Dominic had left for us to deal with. How was he not in jail right now?!

I finally reached her and my hand moved to hers. It was cold, so I kept my hand there, trying to heat it up for her.

"I'm so sorry, Alyssa." I whispered, barely audible to me.

"I wasn't there to help you. Dominic took advantage of you, and I couldn't help..." My thoughts were racing everywhere and I couldn't stop myself from spilling it out. "I should've helped. I was your best friend, I should've helped. It was my job and I failed you. I let you walk alone into hell, and now you're in hell. You need to do your best and wake up."

I let out a quiet, sarcastic laugh. "You made my life hell, Alyssa. But I know there's good in you. I won't walk away now. I'll stay."

I felt my tears hit my hand, and I wiped my cheeks with my free hand.

"I love you. You better wake up."

I sat down at a couch near by and watched her deep sleep.

***

I'd lost track of time and hadn't realized that it was dark outside. A knock on the door forces me to open my eyes. I had fallen asleep but my mind was still conscious.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but visiting hours are almost over in five minutes." The nurse quietly informs me.

I nod my head in understanding and feel my phone vibrate against my pocket.

I check to see who it is. Evelyn's name pops up on the screen and I read the text:

Evelyn: Come ASAP.

I feel my heart rate speed up and my hands become uneasy. I put my phone back in my pocket and move towards Alyssa's bed.

"I have to leave now, but I'll be back tomorrow. I need you to wake up, Aly...." I whisper, only hearing the response of the machine beeping. "I love you."

With that said, I exit the room and make my way out of the hospital. I didn't see Katie in the waiting room so my guess was that she felt tired and left home.

I give Katie a quick text while walking back towards the apartment.

Me: Hey, babe. I kind of fell asleep and didn't notice the time. I hope you're home safe and sound. I love you so much. Text me back if you can <3

Soon after, I reach the apartment and find Evelyn sitting on the sofa.

"Is everything alright?" I cautiously ask.

Evelyn stands up uneasily and takes a deep breath before handing me an envelope.

"What's this?" I ask, starting to feel a sick feeling in my stomach.

"I don't know. I suppose you have to read it to find out." She avoids eye contact and I no longer can ignore the awful feeling I'm feeling.

I sigh in frustration and shake my head. "I'm tired of this shit, Evelyn." I whisper harshly.

I grip the envelope as I make my way towards my room.

I throw it on my nightstand and take my shoes off, putting them aside and turning the lights off.

I didn't have time to drill on other matters that weren't important.