Chapter 12

Katie's POV:

"Finally! I'm done!" Her face radiates joy as she throws her hands up in the air.

"Barely made it. Good job." I celebrate her victory.

"Okay. Can I ask my questions now?" She starts to pack her stuff.

"(L/N), you know you lost. I catched you more than two times staring at me." I shrug, raising my hands in the air.

"How could you possibly think I was going to win? I can't keep my eyes off of you, never." She whispers the last part.

I feel the nerves and my heart rate picks up.

"I'm sorry. That was informal." She quickly corrects herself.

I stay silent as I watch her nervously play with her thumbs.

"Ask." I finally say.

"What's her name?" Her eyes are focused on her hands.

"Jasmine." I reply.

"When did y'll start dating?" It's almost like she's afraid to ask. Her voice is tight.

"A month ago."

She shakes her head. "What about Dominic, who's that guy?"

"My bestfriend."

"That's it?" She finally looks at me.

"There's history, but yes, that's it." I respond with honesty.

A moment of silence fills the room.

(Y/N)'s POV:

My heart is beating rapidly inside my chest.

She has a girlfriend. AND she has history with that jerk.

Apologize to her, now. I demand myself to do so.

"Miss McGrath I-"

"Katie." She cuts me off.

I nod and continue. "Katie... I wanted to apologize..." I stand from the couch and slowly pace back and forth.

"(Y/N), relax. You don't have to apologize. " Her Irish accent just makes me weak.

I take a seat next to her. Probably too close.

"Except I do have to apologize. I..." I close my eyes before speaking again. "I want you to know that I might seem like I'm happy with Alyssa... but... truth is you're always on my mind. I can't live with the fact that I hurt you... because I know I did. I'm so sorry." A tear falls and I feel her hand cup my cheek.

"It did hurt, but time numbed the pain. I forgive you." Her beautiful green eyes reassure me her forgiveness.

"Thank you." I feel relief flood me.

"However, in order to ensure that we don't get hurt again, we will establish boundaries."

I accept her idea of boundaries. It's fair, she has a girlfriend and so do I.

"Well, it's pretty late. I'm going to let you rest." I stand up and grab my bag.

"Are you walking?" She follows me to the door.

"Yeah."

"You're crazy. Let me give you a ride." She takes her keys from a key rack.

***

A comfortable silence filled the car. I would sneak glances at her when she wasn't looking and I would often feel her eyes on me, too.

I was enjoying this moment. She made me so happy. I don't know how I survived two months away from her.

The car came to a stop and I felt disappointment. I didn't want to go.

"Text me when you're inside. Just so I know you're safe." Her white pearls compliment her smile.

"I will." I return her smile.

"See you tomorrow, (L/N)."

I reluctantly open the car door.

"Have a goodnight, Miss McGrath." I close the door and make my way inside the apartment.

Once I'm in, I quickly grab my phone and send her a message.

Me: I'm in. Thank you, Miss McGrath :)

Miss McGrath: No problem. Have a good night, love. And remember, outside of school it's Katie ;)

Me: Right. Sweet dreams, Katie.

I was smiling like a fool right now. I don't think I've ever felt this relieved and happy before.

I quickly head to my room, brush my teeth, and change before falling on my bed with a smile plastered all over my face. I close my eyes just to meet her in my dreams. This has been a great night.