Chapter 6

Katie's POV:

I watch her leave the room. I hadn't meant to upset her at all. I was just giving her my honest opinion.

I bury my face in my hands, hoping I hadn't ruined it for both of us.

I look at my laptop and notice the time at the bottom right corner. It's getting late and I need to eat something.

I place all the quizzes inside my bag along with my laptop and quickly head out.

Instead of stopping at the cafeteria for some food, I head home.

I unlock the door just to find an empty, dark apartment.

I proceed to turn the light on, throwing my bag down on the couch.

I head over to the counter where I've placed my winery.

I decide that I won't drink much yet drink enough to forget about the swirling thoughts in my head.

I take small sips and finally realize that the longer I sit and stare at the blank wall ahead of me, the more she consumes my thoughts.

I can't help it though. I want to protect her from getting hurt. Alyssa seems careless, and I know what people like her are capable of. (Y/N) doesn't see it though. She thinks I'm the bad guy here.

I put the wine down and, after a minute, decide to take a shower before bed.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

***

(Y/N)'s POV:

"Babe, can we talk?" I knock quietly on Alyssa's bedroom door.

"Come in." She responds.

I open the door and sit on the edge of her bed.

"You wanted to talk?" She raises her eyebrows, bewildered at my request.

"Yes." I let out a shaky breath. I was nervous. I didn't know what to expect from her when I voiced out my opinions.

"Is everything okay?" Concern replaces the confusion in her eyes.

"Yeah," I look away trying to figure out how to say it, "I just want you to listen to me, please."

"Mhm."

"I feel like we need to focus and put more effort into our relationship." I wait for a response but she remains silent so I continue. "I like you a lot, Alyssa. And for a very long time I've had feelings for you so don't interpret this wrong. I simply want both of us to be genuinely happy. I don't want a failure for our relationship."

"Okay, I get it. But where were you yesterday? You left me." She aggressively accuses me, rising up and moving in front of me with her hands to her hips.

I stare at her, confused at the abrupt change of subject.

"How does this relate to-"

"Answer the question and you'll know." She interrupts.

"I found one of my professors at the bookstore. Plus, you were too distracted to even notice me." I get a little defensive.

"Who was it?"

"Why are you bringing this up?" I try to go around her question to avoid bringing our professor into it.

"Tell her to keep her distance from you." Her voice is cold and fierce as she backs away to leave the room.

"She's my professor for God's sake!" I raise my voice as I'm left alone in the room.

I decide to follow her out only to hear, "I don't care if she's your professor or not. I don't want you near her." I try to slip my hands around her waist to reassure her, but I only get pushed back as she catches me in the act. The rejection makes me feel some type of way, and I try to brush it off.