Chapter 26

(Y/N)'s POV:

We started to take our seats at the long, wooden table.

As usual, Jessica sat besides me, and Katie sat in front of me. Dominic sat to her right, and Nicole to her left. The parents each sat on each end of the squared table. There was only one seat left, and it was the seat next to me.

We all started to chat amongst ourselves, and unexpectedly, the doorbell rings again.

Our conversations die out as we stare at each other in confusion.

"Are we expecting someone else, son?" Mr. Smith asks Dominic.

"No, I don't think so." He replies, getting up from his seat.

He disappears into the hallway that leads to the front door. Shortly after, he comes back with a woman.

"Hello, good evening." She greets everyone.

Katie and Nicole immediately stand from their chairs and excitedly hug their friend.

Everyone says there 'Hello' and she takes the empty seat next to me.

"Sorry guys, I forgot that I had invited Julie over." Nicole apologizes.

"I'm glad you came, Julie." Katie smiles, and in doing so accidentally brushes her leg against mine.

I look at her immediately, our eyes connecting before retracting from each other again.

Our situation is making Katie weary, and I hate it.

"Okay, are we ready to start?" Mr. Smith politely asks, looking at all of us.

We all nod our heads up and down.

"So, as tradition, we say what we're thankful for and then say our prayers. Is that okay with you all?" He asks, specially looking at me.

"That's alright." I assure.

"So we'll go around the table. I'll start." He takes a deep breath and looks at the table as he thinks of what to say. "First of, I'm thankful for all of us. I'm thankful for my wife, who has been with me all these years. I'm thankful for my son and daughter. And I'm thankful for the friends we have gathered here today, and for a great year that taught us many things." He finishes.

Julie is next, and she is brief with what she says, making me go next earlier than I thought.

"Uh, well...I'm thankful for all of us here. I'm thankful for my family, for my friends, for the struggles this year brought because I feel stronger." I look at Katie, and find her focused on me. "I'm thankful for you, Katie. You're an amazing person who brought light to me. You helped me through a lot, and I could never repay you. Thank you for being a great professor, too." I chuckle at the last part, making her crack a small smile as well. "I feel lucky to have you in my life." I finish. "I'm also thankful for Jessi, you came to me when my world was totally upside down, and you turned it back around. Thank you for that, Jessi."

Jessi is next, after is Nicole and Mrs. Smith,and then it's finally Katie's turn.

"Just like all of you said, I'm thankful for all of us here." She starts and smiles. "I'm very grateful for my friends, who mean the world to me. My family, although we might not be in a good place, but they're still my everything. I am thankful for Dominic, my best friend since forever, and now my boyfriend. I'm thankful for this year that has been tough, but with the right people it's all worth it." Her eyes go directly to mine. "Lastly, I'm more than thankful for (Y/N), a great student may I add. But, more than that, she's a very close friend, one that I appreciate. She's taught me many things about life, and I've had my good times with her as well. Thank you for everything." Her words make my heart warm and I feel better knowing that I still mean something to her.

Dominic is next and our attention goes to him. "I want to thank you all for being here. I want to take this time  and say how grateful I am for my parents and my little sister. Thank you for always being here with me. Thank you for all the friends we have here. And now, I would like to do something special for Katie." He proceeds to stand, pushing his chair in.

My heart beats faster, not knowing what he will do next.

Katie looks at him in confusion. All of us are intrigued in what he's going to do.

He takes a small box from his pants' pocket and kneels down in one knee. I am so shocked I don't even know what to do.

He opens the box revealing a shiny ring. Katie's hand goes to her mouth, surprised with what Dominic was doing.

"Katie McGrath, will you marry me?" He asks.

I look around the table, finding many smiles, but not able to smile myself.

Not wanting to hear Katie's answer, I quickly stand up from my chair. "Excuse me." I walk away, hiding my face from everyone.

I move around the house, and stop when I'm alone and away from the scene.

My eyes water and I allow myself to silently cry. I suddenly feel a tap on my shoulder, and I quickly wipe my tears away.

Looking at the person besides me, I'm surprised to see Mrs. Smith. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, I-I have something in my eye, I think." I bluntly lie.

She chuckles at my answer. "She's more than a friend, huh?"

I swallow back saliva and think of lying but I end up telling her the truth. "Yes."

"I'm not blind, (Y/N). I saw it the first time I saw you both interact with each other. The stealing glances at each other. I noticed. And then your speeches, it gave it away." She explains.

"I'm sorry. I know I'm supposed to be head over heels over your daughter, but-" I start to apologize but I'm interrupted by her.

"It's okay. Jess told me that she felt something off about you and Katie. Just tell her the truth and cut your relationship with her so you don't hurt her more. I'm sure she will understand." She advices.

"Thank you...but why?" I ask her, curious to what her reason is.

"Because it's a big struggle to not be able to be with the person you truly want to be with. Dom and I went through that. He was actually my professor, just like you and Katie, and we fell for each other. So I know what it feels like to have all of those restrictions. I just want Katie and you to be happy. And you're both your happy places, I can see it."

"Thank you." I smile. "Did she say yes?" I'm afraid to ask, but I have to know.

"Talk to her yourself." She says, leaving me alone.

With full reluctance, I go back to the table and take my seat. We say a quick prayer and continue on.

"We can start eating now." Mrs. Smith says, and everyone reaches out for the food.

I stay quiet for the rest of the evening, only answering when someone asked me a question. I couldn't wait for dinner to be over so I could do what I had to do a long time ago.