Chapter 50

(Y/N)'s POV:

"Welcome in, ma'am." I greeted the young lady entering the coffee shop as I took Evelyn's order.

"Thank you." She replied, smiling in return and acknowledging me.

"(Y/N)." Evelyn scolded me.

"What?!"

"I need you to please open that envelope." Evelyn had become my closest friend here on campus despite the short amount of time we had as friends, so I could tell that this was a very urgent and worrisome matter for her.

"Is there something wrong?" I focused my attention on her.

"Read it." That was the only response she gave me.

"I left it at home." I finally said.

"No, I brought it. Here." She placed the envelope in front of me, pushing it further towards me in a sign of urgency.

I nodded and proceeded to tear it open. As I revealed the letter hidden inside, I choked on my saliva, feeling uneasy.

"Dear (Y/N), I hope you don't hate me for..." My eyes instantly searched for Evelyn's, I shook my head in denial.

"I can't." I forced out. I felt the tears on the edge of my eyes. I bit my lip, trying to hold the tears back. I let my head fall down, scared to face reality.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I whispered, hurt in my voice.

"I thought you would had read it sooner." I knew it wasn't Evelyn's fault, yet a desire to blame someone else crept into me. However, deep down I knew this was my own doing. I kept ignoring the letter. If I had opened it sooner, I would've been able to stop her.

But it was too late now. She was gone.

I needed to compose myself though. I was at work and I couldn't let this get in the way.

Evelyn came around the corner and pulled me into an embrace. "Remember that you're not alone, (Y/N)."

I couldn't speak. I wasn't alone, yet felt alone. She was my everything and now she was gone. At last, I nodded.

Evelyn left after, and as I had another customer to serve, I put the letter back into the envelope and into my pocket.

I walked over to the woman. Her dark hair cascaded over her face, hiding from me her natural beauty.

"Hi, I'm sorry for the wait. My name is (Y/N) and I will be helping you tonight. Can I get you started with a drink?"

"Oh, hi. Yeah, I would like some coffee with some sweetener, please." Her pearl whites showing.

"Of course." I gave her a half smile and left to fulfill her order.

When I returned to her, she seemed to be studying a book. I couldn't resist but ask her how long would she substitute our teacher.

"Oh, I'm actually the new teacher."

My mouth opened slightly, I couldn't believe it.

"Oh..." I cleared my throat before continuing, "Well, I wish you the best."

"Thank you, (Y/N)."

I nodded and continued to question her. Although embarras to ask, I had to know who she was. "Sorry, you probably mentioned it, but you are?"

She chuckled before responding, "I see you weren't paying attention in class. My name was written on the board."

"I'm Megan, Megan Fox." Again, her face grew wide with a smile.

"I knew that." I said before walking away. Yeah, she was right, I wasn't paying attention in class.

***

I watched the hours drag by slowly. Finally, it was ten minutes before closing, and the older woman was packing her books already.

She took a final sip of her coffee and stood up. "Thank you, (Y/N). I hope to see you tomorrow at school." She waved goodbye and left.

I sigh in relief. I was ready to get out of here.

I closed down: cleaning the counters, putting up the chairs, sweeping and mopping, etc. I made sure every light was off and continued my way out of the small shop. I locked the doors and as I turned, felt the cold breeze hit my face.

I made my way over to the hospital. It was about a fifteen minute walk, but it was worth it.

Visiting hours were allowed for one more hour so I was at perfect timing.

Inside the room, I took a chair and sat close to Alyssa's bed. Like every other time, the only sound in the room was the heart monitor.

For a few minutes, I observed the state in which she was in. She was in a coma.

I finally began to speak. "Alyssa, I think she... she left me."

I swallowed back the tears before continuing, "She left me a letter. I had it for so so long, yet didn't open it until it was too late." I sigh in frustration. My hand searched my pockets, successfully finding the letter. I retrieve it and unfold it. I begin to weep like a child as I read. I can hear her voice very clearly in my mind. I reread it again and again trying to figure out the "why?", but end up even more troubled and confused. Why did she leave? Why?

"Alyssa, he's ruined our lives. I need you to wake up. We need justice. You need justice. Please... don't die on me. I need you. Katie is gone... she vanished from me because of him. I don't understand, Alyssa. What am I going to do?! I don't have anyone. I'm so lonely. He's taken from me EVERYTHING I love..." My complaints fade into a desperate whisper, the tears rolling down like heavy rains.

"She's gone, Alyssa. Please... just please don't leave as well."

My extremities were crying out, exposing my vulnerability to the person who had caused pain as well.

When we feel alone, heart-broken, and defeated, we find refuge in the person who once failed us because if they do disappoint us again, we won't be new to the unfortunate feeling of pain and betrayal.

TO BE CONTINUED...