Chapter 17

Katie's POV:

I sit down in front of the heartbroken girl. We stay in a comfortable silence for a few minutes, allowing her to feel ready at her own time.

I watch her hand play with her phone, doing circle patterns with it. She finally takes a noticeable breath in, and releases it.

"I'm hurt. I thought it was just anger, but..." Her voice is very low and tight. She's fighting the urge to cry again.

"It's okay to feel that way. You have the right to." I give her a sympathetic smile, hoping she finds comfort in me.

She nods in agreement.

"Thank you for getting on her." She laughs, and it makes my heart warm.

"I'll do it again if necessary. I don't want that girl near you ever again." I sincerely express, raising my hands up in the air as if it wasn't obvious.

She giggles at my comment, and the room falls back to silence.

I notice her hoodie and decide to tease her about it. "Evelyn's hoodie huh?" I include my signature look--- raised eyebrow.

"Why do you say it like that?" She shyly laughs.

"I'm jealous." I make it simple and straightforward.

Her eyebrows jump up, surprised I would say.

"Well, I am sleeping in the same bed as her..." She shrugs.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"Do you like her?" I'm not sure what to expect.

"Of course not!" She chuckles, shaking her head.

I'm very satisfied with her answer, probably a little too much.

"I got you something." I change the conversation. "For your birthday." I add.

She sits straight against the chair and abruptly pulls my chair closer to her. She emerges from her seat and places her knee in between my thighs on the chair.

"All I want is you, Katie." Her sexy voice sounds through my ears.

As much as I want to push her against the wall and kiss her red, sweet lips, I don't want to lead her on anymore.

It takes all of my willpower to push her away carefully.

She dislikes what I did and bites her lower lip, her eyes fixed on the floor tiles.

"You don't like that jerk, Katie." She takes a deep breath in, and finds the courage to look at me after I rejected her.

"You can't decide that. You don't know that, either." I try to reason with her.

"I think I'm going to drop this class." She takes me by surprise, and I raise my eyebrow wanting for her to elaborate.

She shakes her head and her eyes start to get teary. "I can't do this. It's hard for me. It's better if I stay away from you."

"No, (Y/N)." I can't believe that I'm almost begging her to stay.

"I'm already hurt. Our situation hurts me even more." Her hand goes back and forth between her and I.

I catch it with my own hand and pull her towards me. "You're not dropping my class, love."

I'm probably being a little selfish, but I don't care. I need her to stay. If she goes, I'll probably lose her for real.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Ms. McGrath." She dismisses herself, stepping away from me.

***

It's already 7 pm, and I'm still glued to my desk. I rub my eyes for a second before hearing a knock on the door. It opens and Dominic steps in.