Chapter 39

Chapter 39:

Anaira was sitting quietly in her room. She had stopped crying. She looked at her niece who was sound asleep. She caressed Aarna's soft cheeks, it was her favorite thing to do.

She was startled when someone knocked the door.

"Anaira, it's me Aditya."

She quickly got up and went to the restroom. She splashed some water on her eyes. Her eyes were red and puffy from all the crying.

She came out and wiped her face quickly and opened the door hoping he had left but he was still there.

"Sorry, I was in the restroom" she said as she let him in.

He stood next to her bed looking at the baby.

"She's cute." he stated looking at the baby.

Anaira smiled nodding her head.

"I wanted to talk to you." he said looking at her.

"Yeah sure." she said avoiding the eye contact.

"Are you okay? You look tired." he asked her.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I didn't sleep much yesterday because of the pooja preparations. That's it." she told him.

Sneha entered the room and told Anaira that she'll take Aarna with her. That left Aditya and Anaira alone in the room.

"You wanted to say something?" she asked him.

"Yeah, shall we go to your balcony?" Aditya asked her.

Anaira nodded and opened the balcony door and Aditya following her.

She felt the cold breeze hitting her as she went out. The weather was rather chilly.

She turned towards Aditya signalling him to speak.

"I wanted to talk to you about tomorrow. You know I'm very excited and a bit scared as well. This is a huge step that I'm taking." he told rubbing his hands to get some warmth.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine." Anaira told him not knowing what to say.

"Hopefully. My mom really liked her. And I feel good about her too." he told her.

"I just wanted to let you know, those Jhumkas my mom found them in my cupboard. I told her that I brought them for her. But she said that they're too fancy for her and she's going to gift them to my would be fiance tomorrow. I hope you don't mind?" he said.

His words pinched her heart but she kept a straight face. She didn't want to let her emotions show on her face.

"Why would I mind? They're yours so you can do anything with them." she told him. She wanted her voice to be smooth but it did sound a bit harsh. She couldn't help it.

"Thanks. You know most probably my marriage is going to be held in Delhi. I hope you'd help me, you know with the preparations and stuff. My mom's definitely going to make you run various errands." he told her.

Anaira wanted to punch him on the face. 'Is this guy for real? What does he think he is?'

"Oh, I'm sure you can afford a wedding planner. Also I'm really busy with my work. I'm not sure if I can make time to help." she told him. Her voice sounded really cold.

"So I heard you're meeting a guy tomorrow?" Aditya tried changing the topic.

"Yeah." her answer was short.

"Anaira, listen I know I have said this before as well. But I want to say it again. I'm really sorry for hurting you. I think it's better for both of us to move on with our lives. I really hope you give a fair chance to the guy you're meeting tomorrow." he told her.