Chapter 30

Chapter 30:

Once Anaira and his parents left, Aditya walked into the living room. He sat on the couch lost in his thoughts. For some reason his heart felt heavy. It didn't feel right.

When Anaira left, he had been looking through the window. She had turned towards the house one last time as if she was leaving something behind. At the same time he felt like he's losing something too.

He slowly made his way to his room. He needed to get his mind away from these things and work always helped. He reached to take his laptop and was shocked to see the box that was placed on the laptop. He clearly remembered the box.

'She returned the gift!!' His heart dropped at that thought. His mind replayed what she had said. ' I will return it to you when you make me feel like I don't mean anything to you.' she had said that.

It was his first and the last gift for her and she had looked beautiful in them. He remembered the time they had spent together. ' What went wrong with us Anaira?' he whispered to himself as he opened the box. He didn't realize that he was crying until a tear drop fell on his hand. He had loved her too and losing her wasn't easy for him as well. Although it was because of his stupidity, the circumstances were to be blamed too.

************

The next few days, he kept himself busy. The quiet Aditya had become quieter than before now. He hardly spoke anything to anyone.

His mom was pestering him about marriage as usual. Now that Anaira had moved out, he got most of his mom's attention. He always gave her some or the other reasons and escaped from the situation.

His mom had noticed him. He wasn't his usual self and he wasn't eating his food properly too. She was getting worried about him.

Aditya had decided to tell Nia that he wasn't ready to get married. He didn't want to keep her in the dark for long.

He had been avoiding Nishant as well. He always invited Aditya to help with his wedding preparations or to hang out. He knew that Anaira would be there with them and he didn't want to face her. Also Simran wasn't on good terms with him, she always looked at him like he's done something wrong. He wondered why??!! Only if he knew that.

Now he too was avoiding Anaira. The pain that he felt was turning into anger. He was angry at her for making him so weak and miserable. He blamed her for his situation and for occupying his mind and heart always. He missed seeing her at his house. And he knew that his mom missed her too. She always took Anaira's name at home which was making it difficult for him to get her out of his mind.

*********

On the other hand Anaira was busy settling down at the new apartment. She hardly got any free time these days. It was either office work or home or Simran's wedding preparations.

It was Wednesday and Anaira was having coffee with Nishant and Simran at the office cafeteria.

"I don't know what's wrong with this Aditya. He's avoiding me these days." Nishant told suddenly.

"I think he's busy with his work. Don't think about him too much. Your fiance is sitting right next to you and all you talk about is your friend." Simran complained.

"Simran, I'm not joking. There's seriously something wrong with him. He's not being himself. And I never saw him having his lunch these days. He's skipping his meals and he looks like a mess." Nishant told.

Anaira hadn't seen him since few days. He never attended any meetings with his dad these days. ' What's wrong with him? Is he not well?' she wondered.

"And it's his birthday on Saturday. I asked him what he's planning to do and he said that he doesn't want to celebrate it. He's just going to stay home. What's wrong  with this guy?!!" Nishant too wondered not able to understand his friend's behaviour.

Anaira knew about his birthday. Last year it was on his birthday that she had tried calling him once but it had not got connected.

She hardly got any sleep the previous night. For some reason she missed him so much and she had wished him happy birthday looking at his pic which she had stolen from his album. She still kept it with her.

'Happy birthday Adi. I miss you and I hope you are happy.' she had said looking at his picture and cried her heart out. She had cried after a long time. However strong she appeared to be, inside she still was a weakling. He was her weakness.

Aditya's mom had invited her to their house for Aditya's birthday. It was a small gathering with family and she had invited Nishant and Simran too. Anaira had tried escaping but she wasn't successful. So she had to go there in the evening.

When she reached their house in the evening, his mom welcomed her with a warm hug. Aditya was in the office working. Simran and Nishant reached a while later.

They were ready to surprise the birthday boy. When Aditya reached there he truly was surprised to see them, especially Anaira.

Everyone wished him happy birthday. He wasn't really happy with the surprise. He didn't want to celebrate his birthday but he didn't want to hurt his mom.

Anaira wished him happy birthday too. She had just said 'Happy birthday' and walked away before he could even say thanks to her.

After the dinner was done, they were sitting in the living area talking random things. Aditya suddenly told that he needs to discuss something related to the project with Anaira.

She knew that it wasn't true. But she followed him. He walked in to his room.

He took out the jewelry box that she had returned and asked her to take it.

"Take this back." he told her looking at her eyes.

He hadn't seen her in a long time. They both were busy avoiding each other.

"That's doesn't belong to me." Anaira replied.

"It doesn't belong to me too. In case you haven't noticed I don't wear Jhumkas." he told her.

'Is he trying to crack a joke now after all that has happened?' Anaira didn't know what to say.

"I don't know. But I can't keep that after everything you've said and done to me." she replied truthfully.

"Don't talk like a saint. Now don't blame everything on me. Why don't you just accept your mistake?" he told her trying not to sound too loud.

"I'm not trying to blame anyone here. I'm done arguing with you. But I'm definitely not taking it back. You can do whatever you want with them." she told.

"I'm going to throw them away." he said.

"You can. Anyways these are the only things that are left to be thrown away. You have already thrown everything else away." she replied keeping a blank face.

"What do you mean I have thrown everything else away?" Aditya asked her.

"Nothing and I accept that everything was my fault. I made a mistake of trusting you too much and .. nothing. I accept my mistake. I hope you are happy now. Bye." she said that and left. She didn't want to agrue with him again.

She wanted to tell him that she made a mistake of trusting and loving him with all her heart. But what difference does it make, she thought and left it unsaid.

Aditya was angry. He had decided to give it back to her because everytime he saw that box it reminded him of her. He didn't know what to do with them.

Anaira came down and Simran looked at her asking with her eyes if she's alright. Anaira just nodded her head at her.

They left after a while. Anaira was sad and confused. She didn't know what this guy wanted. How can he ask her to take back the gift after everything he's done?

She just wanted to get this project done and go back now.

END of Chapter 30!!!

Hello All,

Here's goes the next update. Please let me know your thoughts.

There might be another 4-5 chapters more before this story comes to an end.

Thanks 😊