dreams

A lonely bell chime.

   The soft breeze rustling the trees.

    A warm feeling on my back.

   Peaceful silence.

   I was no longer in a leather jacket and dirty clothes that had been through so much. I was in a white tank top with jean shorts that hugged my thighs perfectly. My hair wasn't a ratty mess pulled back into two braids on each side of my head, but instead, brushed through. It blew across my face as I lifted my hand to wipe it off of my nose.

   When I caught a glimpse of my palms, I almost fainted. The crescent moon cuts had disappeared, replaced with soft, unscarred skin. Confusion ate at the back of my mind as I looked around, placing my hands back on the earth.

   The grass beneath my bare feet was soft...almost like a natural blanket as I stood up, wriggling my toes as though I had never felt it before. Grass blades gently moved with the air, calm like they had no intention of going anywhere else. The base of the tree I had been leaning against barely scratched my hand as I used it as leverage, hoping that I didn't go stumbling down the steep hill that started a few feet from where I had rested.

   Not a cloud was in the sky above me. It was blue. Not some, gross musty orange color with traces of dust and grime that came from the destroyed earth underneath. But instead, it seemed healthy like the ground I stood on. I furrowed my brows as I inhaled...my lungs seemed clearer too. With the previous activities in which I had taken part in mind, I reached up to my head.

   All sounds were gone. No music. No haunting chuckles. No voices of past friends telling me that their death was my fault. It was just quiet. And yet, I still felt nervous about what was to come.

   "Thomas?" I asked into the air as I looked out over the hill. There was nothing but grass for as far as I could see. No trees except for the one I had been leaning against while I was unconscious. All signs of life were gone, and I was alone.

   "Brenda?" I tried again, knowing that they weren't here. I turned around on my heel, maybe expecting another surprise to take place. For someone to come out of the blue and take me to WICKED, or maybe something worse. But as I stood on that patch of grass, feeling the comforting rays of sun leak through the branches above me as they heated my skin like a warm blanket, I heard another voice.

   Not a haunting one that burned my mind, and destroyed the little confidence I had, but a soft one that reminded me of an angel.

   "Mae."

   It was a girl's voice. It sounded familiar. I turned my head to the right, only to see a light blue blanket spread across a flat part of the grass. A woman was sitting on it. She had dark hair; like mine. it stopped just before it reached her collarbones, the curl at the end giving her some sort of character. Her eyes were hazel, a soft mix of brown and bright green that made me want to hug her. The woman's skin looked soft. Pure. As did her lips, which curled up into a sweet smile as my eyes met hers.

   She was wearing a white vest, with a white long-sleeved shirt underneath. Her jeans were blue, the blanket being a shade lighter. Her hand reached out for me as she motioned to come closer. My heart skipped a beat at the gesture, and I looked around the field once again for any trace of my friends. But they were nowhere to be seen. It was just me and the woman. Alone in a field of peaceful silence.

   I took a slow step forward, sucking in a slow breath as the cold grass found its way beneath my toes once again. I don't think I've ever felt it without some kind of shoe on. The nervous feeling in my stomach grew as I put one foot in front of the other, moving towards the blanket and the girl who knew my name. Eventually, I had gotten to the blanket, one more step and I would be standing next to where she sat.