in the city

long surprise chapter

another TBS recommendation

MAE

"After the Maze, I got picked up by a group headed to the city." Gally spoke as we all followed him through the parking garage that was now used as some kind of shelter. "They realized I was immune, patched me up, brought me here. To Lawrence."

We turned a corner as I tried to make sense of what was happening. Turns out the aftermath of getting tasered lasts a lot longer than actual lightning does. Who would've thought...

"This group's been at war with WICKED every since they took control of the city. But WICKED can't hide behind those walls forever. A day is gonna come where they're gonna pay for what they've done."

I jogged a little to keep up with everyone, letting my hand slide against the concrete barrier that kept me from falling. "Um, Gally you're starting to sound a lot like those slintheads that got blown up."

He glanced at me before licking his lips. "They're not slintheads, Mae. They're angry. You should be too."

"Oh believe me, I am." I nodded, faintly remembering the blood as it seeped through my mother's shirt. But I shook my head, pushing the memories away. "I just don't see what yelling and waving a whole bunch of stupid signs is gonna do. If they want to get back at WICKED then actually do something."

Gally looked at me again, the smallest of smirks tugging at his lips. "You know, you've always been wise."

"I still hate you."

"Okay." He replied, coming to a stop.

I followed his actions, halting as the boys came to a stop next to me. Brenda and Jorge were in the back, probably feeling awkward about this whole situation, as neither of them knew our history with this guy. I quickly looked over my shoulder at them, seeing Brenda give me the smallest of smiles as she followed behind. I returned the favor, reminding myself to talk to her later.

"Listen." Gally's voice made me turn my head back around as I rolled my eyes. "He doesn't get a lot of visitors, so...let me do the talking. Alright? And try not to stare."

He turned on his heel and began to walk in another direction, down another hallway. I was the first one to follow him, not even caring that Gally had somehow been brought back to life by some random spirit or some shit like that. I cared that he killed Chuck, but for some reason I felt as though Gally had changed. He was calmer—not ready to throw a temper tantrum every five seconds. Maybe getting a spear through the chest was good for him.

In some weird way.

"A rose took my nose, I suppose. A rose took my nose, I suppose." The man was whispering the phrase under his breath, fiddling with a flower in the sunlight.

The room was cluttered, but organized. Books were scattered throughout the place, on desks and stacked on chairs as well as the floor. Dim lanterns lit up the area, the only natural light being that of the window that was propped open above a garden of roses. The sun beamed into the room, creating a silhouette around the man who had some sort of medical equipment hooked up to him.

"Gally." He spoke to the boy, earning a head nod in return. "Glad to see you made it back. Jasper told me what happened."

"It was a slaughter." He simply stated, shrugging his shoulders. "There's nothing we can do against those guns. "

As I looked at the man with a weird obsession for roses, I noticed something...off about his appearance. He was in the darkness, making it harder for me to see, but he was weird.