she

read this with his voice in mind. makes it 1000 times better

NEWT

"Newt." I heard a whisper as a soft breath through my half conscious mind. I groaned and rolled to my side, not knowing what time it was, but wanting to stay asleep.

"Newt..." Her angelic voice spoke to me again but a little louder. This time, I turned around and fluttered my eyes open.

Just as I thought, the most beautiful face I've ever seen made eye contact with me. She bit her bottom lip, trying to keep her smile contained...I always hated it when she did that. The fluorescent lights were like a silhouette around her head as she kneeled beside my bed. I felt the corners of my lips quirk up, and I didn't hesitate to smile as she finally let hers show.

"Good morning." She whispered to me. Her voice was smooth, breathtaking. I could listen to her tell me stories for days and days.

I closed my eyes again. "Good morning." I mumbled back to her through my groggy, adolescent voice. I let out a groan as I stretched my muscles and threw my legs over the side of my bed. She watched me with the same smirk on her face.

Looking back at her, I felt my head be cleared, and all of the worries and aches of the previous night were nothing but memories now. I placed my bare feet onto the cold concrete floor of our room, and looked around just like I did every morning. But something about today was different.

I furrowed my eyebrows and stood up, keeping my eyes on her as she looked up at me through her big brown doe eyes. "Is there a reason you woke me up this early? What time is it?" I asked her as she stood to her feet.

She shrugged. "I dunno. I was just bored so I woke you up."

I shot her a playful glare and tilted my head to the right with a smirk. "Were you really bored? Or did you have a nightmare?"

"I guess you'll never know..." She teased, turning her head away from me and walking over to the small restroom that we had attached to our bunk. Her brown hair cascaded down her back, stopping just below her shoulders. I watched as her body swayed with every step she took. Sometimes I thought that she wasn't real. She made her way into my mind at every moment of every day, a reminder of something that I already knew I would never forget.

Impulsively, I followed her through the steel door, watching as she stood in front of the mirror. My smile faded, and I walked up behind her as she studied herself. The changes they made. Her cheeks had begun to hollow a little more than they had a week ago, and her jawline was as prominent as ever. The dark circles under her eyes didn't bother to hide themselves, and her hair was pressed against her forehead.

"Was it bad this time?" I whispered as I watched her eyes glass over with tears.

She nodded and met my eyes through the glass. "Worst one yet. Newt, I'm not sure how much longer I can take this."

"Hey." I murmured. I grabbed her shoulders and gently turned her around to face me. She stared at my chest, shaking her head. She knew what I was about to tell her. It's a routine. If I ever went a day without telling her, I wouldn't know what I would do.

"You know what I'm about to tell you, correct?" I asked her with a small smile on my lips. She shook her head, and I could just make out the slightest quiver of her bottom lip as she tried to hold back all of her emotions. I slowly moved my fingers underneath her chin, and I gently lifted it up, forcing her to meet my eyes.