drunk things

Newt and I stumbled through the door of the Homestead, laughing and shushing each other like crazy people. After Alby sent us to bed, we decided to be rebels and steal some jars of Gally's drink. And by some, I mean five jars. Each.

Needless to say, we were a bit tipsy.

I shushed him again and burst out into a fit of silent giggles, dropping onto my knees. Newt burst into laughter as well, pressing his pointer finger to his lips and shushing me as he grabbed my hand to pull me off of the hardwood floor. We both calmed ourselves down enough to stand up, and we made our way to the stairs, which easily took us ten minutes to get up. We kept shushing each other, which would then cause us to burst into another round of silent laughter.

"I am so drunk right now," Newt whispered in my ear. I sent him a lazy smile as I smelled his breath that was coated with the stench of alcohol. We stumbled into my room, almost knocking over my dresser in the process. I blew a raspberry through my chapped lips and turned back to Newt, who was laying face down on the floor.

"Newt?" I called his name, "Are you alive?"

He groaned loudly, making me shush him and nudge his side. With another laugh, I plopped my body onto the floor next to him, laying with my head right beside his. He flipped his body over so that we were both facing the ceiling, but in opposite directions.

"Is it just me," Newt started, his voice groggy, "Or is everything spinning?"

I sighed, "Just embrace it, my friend. This is probably the only time we're gonna be able to get away with this."

He went silent for a few seconds, and I thought that he had gone to sleep, but when he spoke up again, it shocked me, "Friend..." He spoke, as though he was testing the word on his tongue, "Friend. Friend... What is a friend?"

I opened my mouth to speak, then it occurred to me that I didn't really know what a friend was. I knew that it was someone you spend your time with, but then again, I spent every second of my day with Newt. We worked together, and we were neighbors. He woke me up in the morning, and he was the last one I spoke to when I went to bed. It was like that since my first night in the Glade. We did everything together, but I still felt...different about him. I've been battling the feelings for so long, that I didn't even know what the hell they were anymore.

"Now that you ask," I started, "It appears that I have absolutely no shucking clue what a friend is... Do you know what a friend is?"

Newt waved his hands in the air, "Are you talking about just like a friend? Or a friend?" He exaggerated the last word.

"Both."

He hummed in response, thinking. He was probably the wisest person I knew. He was always telling me to calm down, and take a deep breath. We took care of each other. I didn't know whether that was friend behavior or friend behavior. Maybe if I was sober I could figure it out, but that's not the point.

"Um..." He muttered, "I think that a friend is someone who you can make jokes with and tell secrets too... like a friend," He gestured to me as if what he was saying was so obvious. I nodded slowly, trying to understand.

"So..." I spoke up, "Correct me if I'm wrong, but Minho and I are just regular friends, correct?"

Newt hummed in response and nodded vigorously, "Yes. Definitely."

"And Chuck and I..."

"Well that's different," He told me, "Chuck is like your...your son. I mean with the way that you treat him. You treat him like he'll break at any second."