box

"No!" A girl shouted as she was dragged down a hallway by two large men. "No, please! Thomas!"

   She called after a brunette boy who stood next to a woman in a white pantsuit so clean that she could almost see her reflection. She called for him again after seeing his eyes glass over with tears. He was trying to hold back his emotions, she thought. So the girl just screamed for him louder, hoping that his wall would crash down and he would come to the rescue.

   But he just stood there, wiping his eyes as the Woman In White watched her be taken away, a frown prominent on her face. The girl continued to squirm and cry for help, feeling terrified above the many other emotions at the moment.

   The guards kept their tight grip on her biceps as they tugged her down another hallway. The farther they got from the brown-haired boy and the Woman In White, the more hope the girl could feel drain from her body. She knew this was going to happen. Why was she so scared?

   Delaying the inevitable never works out in the end. It only causes suffering. Not only from you, but from the ones you love as well.

   "Please!" She screamed louder than she had ever before, straining her voice, hoping that her screams would become too much for the guards to bear, and they would drop her. But they didn't. "Newt!"

   Her cries echoed off of the white subway tiled walls and the white floor. Surely everyone in the building could hear her cry for help. Why was nobody coming to save her?

   Fear and sadness enveloped her entire demeanor as the guards turned down another hall. Her screams suddenly stopped as she recognized how close she was to the place she had been dreading. Hyperventilating, she felt her cracking walls finally start to tumble down, knowing how her few friends felt when they were taken away. The Woman In White always said that she would see them soon. But she never did.

   Her addams-apple bobbed up and down, feeling shell shocked at how close her fate laid. It was only a few steps away now. But for some reason, her limbs couldn't move any longer. She hadn't accepted the situation she was about to be put in, but why cause more trouble if it's going to happen anyway?

   So, she went silent. Her screams finally stopped, and the only sound that could be heard in the long, menacing hallway was the sounds of her own voice as she tried to recall every memory that she's ever had in this dreadful building before it was drained from her like the blood they've taken so many times.

   An image of her and her best friend popped into her mind, and she let it replay like a broken record. She wanted to feel something other than fear in her final moments. Even it was pure despair.

   She saw them running down the hallway as young children. They were playing a game of some sort, it seemed like. Laughter echoed through the building as the small sandy-blonde haired boy taunted the girl, challenging her to run faster than him. For she had never beaten him in a race, yet she was determined. Determined to win. Suddenly, she remembered how she began to double over with coughs, not being able to run anymore. She remembered the feeling like someone was squeezing her lungs, trying to get her to give up.

   She remembered the sandy-blonde haired boy as he stopped in his tracks, immediately rushing over to her side and telling her to put her arms above her head.

   "In through your nose." He told her. "Out through your mouth." The little girl did as she was told and felt the air coming back into her lungs as she continued to attempt to steady her breathing. The boy looked at her with furrowed eyebrows and an almost guilty expression as the girl finally inhaled a deep breath without wheezing. She nodded and sighed towards the boy, who simply sent her a fake smile and wrapped his arm around her shoulders, saying,