he's not here

oh god

NEWT

The SUB-LEVEL 3 sign was almost taunting me as I struggled to run through the hallway, my breaths becoming heavier with every slow step I took. I couldn't remember the last time it was this hard for me to run, it's always come easy to me, even with my bum leg. But I followed Thomas, Gally, and Teresa, my mind became heavier, the pounding beginning to increase.

"Come on." Thomas encouraged, as per bloody usual. I shook my heavy head once and tried to muffle a cough by placing my elbow over my mouth, but that didn't do much. "Just a little further."

Hold on, Newt. I told myself, my mental health also taking a toll throughout this experience. These past minutes I've thought about what would happen if I just turned the blaster on myself and pulled the trigger. But those thoughts were quickly put to rest, for I snapped out of it and regained temporary balance on the ledge that I've been struggling on ever since yesterday morning.

"Here." Teresa suddenly murmured, stopping at a door. She stood to the side as the three of us got into position, our hands firm on the triggers of our launchers while we stood at the door. Almost as if on cue, it opened to show one of the guards of the floor. He was wearing a different uniform than us, but I didn't have time to pay attention to his clothes before his face paled and Thomas blasted the man, sending him at least ten feet back. I watched for a second as he withered on the floor, spasming as the little bolts of electricity did their job.

If Mae were here, she would have just done one of her moves, I thought as I raised my weapon and took a step forward, joining the others in shooting the rest of the people that were in the room. They ducked underneath the counter, trying to dodge the shots that flew through the air.

They shot back at us, luckily we were fast enough to dodge each one of them, getting whoever it was with our own weapon before they had a chance to get us with theirs. Eventually, the whirring of the bullets and the electricity died down, all of the WICKED workers being on the floor. We all waited a few seconds, breathing heavily as the fog dispersed to see if any of them were going to get back up. When they all stayed, unmoving on the hard floor, Thomas nodded and turned toward me.

"Okay. Let's go ahead and start getting the kids out." I nodded as he turned to Gally. "Serum."

The boy nodded. "I know, I know, I know..."

I had the urge to laugh. Uncontrollably.

Instead, I took two long strides to the door I was closest to, coming into the kid's line of vision through the window. They all flinched and moved backward, causing me to smirk a little. I placed my hand on the handle and opened the door. It suddenly occurred to me that this group of kids would probably be terrified is they saw a WICKED guard opening their door, and they were still all awake. So, trying to be the nice person I was, I took off my mask with a smile, bringing relief to myself and to them. I looked around at their little faces, wishing that I could remember when I was this age.

I cocked my head behind me, waving to them. "Come on, let's go."

Turning around and walking away, I looked over my shoulder to see them slowly standing to their feet, making their way out of the small room they were in on their own time. I looked to my right as well, watching as Tommy opened another door to let another group of kids out. And in the middle was Teresa, watching as this all unfolded before her eyes.

I thought about running up to her and sticking my tongue out, pointing my finger at her and doing a dance. Mocking her. But I didn't. I just rubbed my head and brushed the stray hair out of my face.