Be My Valentine? (Mini Chapter)

(February 14th, 2018)

Fenton's POV:

Today was the day. Today, Fenton was finally going to gather up the courage to tell Liz how he felt and ask her out. He was practicing what he was going to say to her in the mirror while clutching the bouquet of colourful roses he got her.

"Hi, Liz! I was thinking-. No, that shows you've been thinking about her!
Oh, Liz! I didn't see you there! I wanted to ask you-. Ugh, no!
Hey, Liz~. I thought we could-. Ugh! God, no! Why can't I just get it right?"

Suddenly, M'ma came into his room and asked, "Polito, what are you doing? If you want to ask Liz out, you should just be sincere. Tell her how you truly feel and she'll love you just the way you are."

"But, M'ma, it isn't that simple! It needs to be perfect! Because... she's perfect.", he said.

"Ay, Polito. Just speak from the heart. Trust me.", she told him before leaving.

Fenton took a deep breath before looking in the mirror one more time and saying, "Liz, you are amazing. You're the most amazing person I've ever met! The room gets brighter when you walk in and you make people happier just by being around! You make me happier by being around. I love everything about you. I know it's a longshot for someone like me to ask someone like you out but I care about you too much to keep this in any longer. I love you more than anything else in the world. You are my world! So, I was wondering, would you like to go out with me tonight?", he finished while holding out the bouquet in front of him.

He stared at himself for a few seconds before saying, "That was perfect! I need to write this down!"

He practiced in front of the mirror a few more times before gathering up the courage to go to her house and ask her. He knocked on the door and held the roses and card behind his back. A few seconds later, Liz opened the door and greeted him, "Hi, Fenton! You wouldn't believe what happened this morning!"

"Oh! What happened?", he asked.

She continued, "I was complaining to my friend, Charlie, last night that I didn't have a date for Valentines and that little matchmaker set me up with this guy she works with!"

In that moment, Fenton's heart shattered into a million tiny pieces and he nearly dropped the roses behind his back.

"Isn't that awesome?!", Liz exclaimed.

"... Yeah. Yeah, that's-that's great.", Fenton sighed as he tried to keep his smile intact.

Liz peeked behind his back and saw the roses.

"Ooo! Those are beautiful! Has someone also got a special Valentine too?", she asked.

"Um, y-yeah, I got these for this really great girl...", he said bluely while still smiling.

"Ooo! What's the lucky girl's name?", she asked.

Fenton looked around for inspiration for a fake name and landed on a bird flying by, "B... Betsy! Her-Her name is Betsy."

"Oh, what a sweet name! Y'know one of my aunts is called Betsy! Isn't that funny? Anyway, I should be getting to work! You know how busy coffee shops get at rush hour!", Liz said as she put on her skates and skated down the street, "See ya later, Fenton!"

He waved her goodbye before he ran back into his house and screamed into his pillow.

~Timeskip~

It was late at night when Fenton was glumly looking up at the stars from his deck chair out the front of his house, feeling unfathomable envy for whoever Liz was on a date with. He then heard some angry footsteps coming from the street. He looked and saw Liz. She looked really annoyed but when she saw him her face lit up a little before she went to hug him.