10

Chapter Ten, Sneaking Out

x

I closed the door behind me and fumbled with the key before I managed to lock it successfully. In a moment, I scanned the driveway and street for my mom's or dad's car. A breath of relief escaped me when I found I was in the clear so far. Mentally saying a prayer that I wouldn't get caught, I jogged to my car and quickly left my house. I've snuck out of the house countless times before, but somehow this time really made me anxious. I kept doubting myself, thinking my parents would for sure catch me.

Turning on the radio didn't help clear my thoughts, but when I was arriving closer to Carmen's house, I felt much better. I didn't feel like I would be screwed in the end. Besides, I should be home before they come home anyways since they have meetings and company dinners this evening. They'll call to check in and I can come up with something. Seeing Carmen's house in the distance was all I needed to make the unsure feelings dissipate. I stalled beside the curb and took a deep breath. Why am I still anxious? I don't have anything to worry about.

I finally turned the engine off and got out of my car. I strolled to the door and took in the exterior of Carmen's house. She lived in a nice house; it was simple and plain compared to mine. That's probably because her parents didn't hire a gardener to keep everything green and in perfect condition. I rang her doorbell and knocked three times on the door before I patiently waited with my hands shoved in my pockets. I wanted to wait in my car but there was no way for me to inform Carmen I was outside her house since I don't have her phone number.

"Hi, can I help you?" a woman answered the door and I immediately recognized her as Carmen's mom from earlier. She spoke before I could introduce myself, though, "Oh! You're that kind boy who has been dropping my daughter home. Thank you so much."

"You're welcome, Mrs.-"

"Please, come inside. Did you want to see Carmen?" I couldn't say anything in reply because the next thing I knew, I was being ushered inside. She called Carmen once I was inside and then excused herself to the kitchen, but not before making sure I knew I could make myself comfortable. I was never more jealous of Carmen then. I wish she was my mom.

Carmen was taking too long, so I decided to actually walk inside the house and sat down in the living room. Well, I was basically standing in the living room since there wasn't much of a foyer. I noticed there was a hallway that must lead to the other rooms and bathroom(s). The living room would've opened up into the kitchen and dining room if there wasn't a wall to separate the space. The wall wasn't full, though, making two entries into either the dining room or kitchen. Again, it was a simple house, but it was still nice and felt warm and comfortable. I liked it better than my house. Carmen needs to hurry up or I'll really hate her.

"Hey! Who are you?" I heard a girl's voice say and just like that my thoughts were interrupted. I looked around to find a little girl around Samantha's brothers' age. She had her hair up in pigtails with pink ribbons to match her pink dress.

"I'm Carmen's..." I paused trying to find a good title. What kind of relationship do we have? Are we acquaintances or more than that? I can't lie to the little girl.

"Her friend?" She asked.

"Yeah, and let me guess, you're her big sister?" I smiled, trying to get her to laugh. I succeeded when she giggled, using her hands to hide it.

"No I'm not, silly head. I'm her little sister. Carmen is seventeen and I'm six."

"Nice to meet you, Six. I'm Niall." She laughed this time and walked closer to me until she stood about three feet away.