17

Chapter Seventeen, I Suck

x

So, unfortunately Samantha did not get ran over by a bus. I found out the next day in the morning that she was perfectly fine because her lips were glued to Peter's. I absolutely despise mornings- they're my arch enemies if it still hasn't been made clear. I was kind of hoping Samantha and Peter would have made out in the middle of the street instead for the chance that a bus seriously would run them both over. As I've said before, the world is against me and I had to endure the next seven hours of school with their presence. To say I strongly, passionately disliked Samantha was a complete understatement; it was so much more than that.

Art class was a bore, much more so because I still sat behind Carmen and Christopher. I was forced to watch them laugh and giggle every now and then. I was kind of hoping I could switch places with Christopher so it could be me laughing with Carmen. The next two classes were a bore as well, because I had neither with Carmen and was alone. The classes gave me time to think back to Samantha and the previous day- minus the talk I had with Greg. I had taken note of the fact that in the morning and during passing periods, I heard people whispering and talking more than usual. I couldn't help but feel like everyone was talking about Carmen and it was all Samantha's fault. That's why I wished I could sit next to her and have her for every class. I just wanted to comfort her.

But then lunch rolled around and I was left with stupid Adrian. I had talked to him on the phone and he had told me that rumors about Carmen were already spreading. The question was if everyone believed them or not. I hoped people wouldn't believe a single word that left Samantha's mouth, but that was asking too much from people I don't care about. Bad enough Peter and Samantha are together, I also had to endure the fact that people were gossiping about a girl I truly admired way more than what was considered normal or healthy. Having the opportunity to send someone texts is an amazing thing, so I had sent her a text that read something like don't smile too big today because you can blind people. Maybe that was a bad idea.

Adrian was currently trying to open a bag of carrots while I picked at what was supposed to be a salad. Really it was just lettuce with like two cherry tomatoes, three pieces of red onion, and for some reason grated cheddar cheese. How healthy and satisfying. I finally gave up and went for my apple while Adrian popped open his bag of carrots, spilling a few pieces.

"So, uh, how are you?" Adrian asked as he picked up the carrots that had fallen on him and put them in his mouth. It was kind of gross, but I was used to him and his eating habits.

"I'm good, I guess." I shrugged and took a bite of my apple.

"Are you sure? Samantha is desperately trying to destroy Carmen, who you secretly love. Must suck bad."

"I don't secretly love her, idiot. Of course I'm pissed, but I can't really do anything at the moment. I told you yesterday."

"Yeah, and I could only get in a few words before you said you had to go and hung up."

"So?"

"So, the Niall I know would be pissed beyond real right now and would want to snap Samantha in half, though he'd be even more frustrated because of his respect for girls."

"I do respect girls. Can't be a man if you can't be a gentleman." I pointed my finger at him with the hand that held my apple. I took another bite of my apple as he rolled his eyes too dramatically.

"Your dad said that once."

"Best advice he's given so far." And it was true since my dad never really had a decent talk with me other than to tell me he's disappointed with my actions.