Deleted Scene

Deleted Scene, Three: A Changed and Deleted Chapter

x

"Niall, did you hear?" Adrian asked as we sat at our table for lunch. I shook my head, telling him no, and he seemed to be surprised. "I don't know when she did it, but it's horrible."

"Who and what are you talking about?" I asked but he just looked to his left. I turned my head and noticed Carmen taking the seat next to me and her friends, Christopher and Mike, sitting with us.

"Hey guys!" Carmen smiled. Mike and Christopher gave a simple hello and wave. Adrian acknowledged the three of them, but I just stared. I didn't have anything to say. Why are they sitting with us?

"Hi." Carmen said to me, possibly trying to get me to speak up. It worked.

"What are you doing?"

"It's nice seeing you, too."

"Yeah, um, you're sitting way too close to me." She frowned and scooted over, but even then she was too close. She should sit at the table next to us like she always does.

"So what's going on? Has she done anything else yet?" Chris asked. I can't believe I'm using his nickname now. This is so weird. I feel like the universe ended and recreated itself. One weekend. That's all it was, that's all it took, for my life to turn upside down and change. I never even consented to this.

"No, I hope not at least for their sake." Adrian asked and I was confused all over again.

"What are you freaking talking about?" I asked, now irritated.

"Carmen's and your personal reaper." Adrian answered.

"Good one." Chris complemented.

"Samantha? What did she did do?"

"She spread a rumor around that I was transferred this year because at my old school, I was cast away for being the freak and loner. She said I was shunned and forced to switch schools. She also said I don't belong here either and I'm only friends with Chris and Mike, the most outgoing at this school who know and is friendly with everyone, because I'm trying to hide who I really am to fit in and be accepted. No one has talked to me all day. People even made fun of me for the tape I've used on my locker, backpack, and shoes. I... normally don't let people get to me, but she's kind of right."

I watched Carmen look down after explaining to me and it was like I could see the shame and hurt drape over her. I had this unsettling, churning feeling in my stomach and I wanted to be sick. I wanted to puke my insides out and have my body be mauled by carnivorous bears. I felt horrible in that moment and the only person I could blame for her despair was myself. I wanted to see her smile, I wanted to see her face light up and beam like the brightest sun in the universe, and I wanted to see her smirk for some witty remark she made to me. I never, ever, felt like the worst person in the world until that point.

"I want the names of every single person who talked to you today." I told Carmen. She looked up at me with furrowed brows, but I knew she was still upset. That blanket was wrapped tightly around her.

"Why?"

"I need the names, Carmen." I felt the anger rise in me. I don't know why or what was going on. I wanted to run to the bathroom, but at the same time I wanted to flip every table over.