13

Chapter Thirteen, Fun Day

x

     I slammed the front door closed as I made my way out of the house and to my car. I knew I wouldn't hear the end of it when I would come back, but I didn't care. I had been thinking about the dance, Samantha, Carmen, and life. Not so much the last one, actually, but I had been thinking yesterday and when I woke up today. I really did not want to go to school, so I sat in my car for a few minutes and pushed all my thoughts to the back of my mind. It kind of worked, but in reality it was fine for like a minute. I didn't want to become angry again, so I thought about how my parents didn't give me a second punishment yet, which was pretty amazing. The good thoughts didn't last too long because there was still a punishment to come. So much for not wanting to be angry.

     And this is exactly why I hate Mondays. Before I could think anymore, I drove to school. I figured that it would be a distraction, especially with Samantha's threat still semi-fresh in my mind. Unfortunately I found Samantha making out with Peter on his car when I parked. I don't even know why, but I sat in my car disgusted as I watched them. I felt like puking my nonexistent breakfast up. Maybe I was too repulsed by the pair exchanging saliva and other things I do not want to know about, but I jumped in my seat when I heard a knock on the window. I probably looked like a creepy stalker sitting in my car while I watched my ex girlfriend and my ex best friend kissing.

     "Niall, get out of your car." Carmen ordered when I faced the window. Her voice was slightly muffled, but I heard quite clearly. I groaned and slung my backpack over my shoulder before I got out of my car and locked it.

     "What?" I asked as I pocketed my keys and leaned against my car. It was then that I realized I listened to her and didn't care.

     "Someone's grumpy."

     "I had a lovely breakfast with my darling parents, sibling. We exchanged some... brief but powerful words before I left in an unforgettable storm. Oh, and my brother brought his girlfriend over, but she's okay."

     "I'd hate to be you."

     "I hate being me. What's new?"

     "Nothing, just thought I would say hi and tell you good morning, but I regret that now."

     "Hi and good morning. Better?"

     "It wasn't enthusiastic at all and I'm not in the mood for your sarcasm."

     "Someone else is grumpy."

     "Let's make a club now."

     "What's wrong with you today?"

     "Oh nothing. I'm perfectly fine." Carmen fake smiled as if it would prove her point.

     "Lies, no one is perfectly fine and admits it. Is everything alright?" No, I am not that heartless. Under all the blackness of my heart, there's some red that can't seem to poke out. In my defense, I'm only human. Also, my thoughts about Carmen may have led me to realize she is a likable person. I emphasize on the "may have" part.

     "I... no, really it's fine."

     "I'm not going to stop asking and you know it."

     "I'm not telling you because there's nothing to tell."

     "There's obviously something to tell. It will make you feel better if you let it out."

     "I appreciate the concern, but I don't see myself telling you."