The Abrupt Return of Feliks

"My entire life is a run on sentence. Like, one thing after another with no pauses for air, and no time to process the last thing because another thing is fast approaching and then finally you think there's about to be a pause but no..." Toris commented to no one in particular. He sat alone in his house with a pen and notebook on his lap. Toris was attempting to write the opening line of some slam poetry he'd been working on for weeks now.

He looked around his house for inspiration. Calling where he lived a house was an understatement, it was a mansion.

It felt far too big for him and his mom. Six bedrooms for two people. Toris loved his mom but she was never home to be in the mansion with him. She was a filmmaker and had plenty of money only for Toris to be lonely. He had a few friends and a dog, but that can't change loneliness.

His best friend moved away abruptly which only made Toris feel even worse in his huge empty home.

Without warning, his dog barked at the back door which snapped him into reality. He got up to let his dog out the back and while he's walking back in the doorbell rings. Toris groaned but went to answer it.

He opened the door and started. His jaw dropped and his green eyes widened, he wanted to scream.

What. The. Hell. Was all he could think.

It was Feliks, Toris' electric best friend.

"Hi, Toris! How lovely to see you!" Feliks crooned with joy.

This is the best friend who moved abruptly.

"Feliks? What are you doing here?!" Toris felt alarmed and confused and happy all at once.

"Uh, no time for that, like, can I stay with you..?" Feliks asked with a small smile. He wore a backpack and skin tight jeans with thin shirt.

It seemed clear as day that he was hiding something.

"Sure. As you know moms out and won't care anyway." Toris says.

Feliks grinned his electric grin and hugged Toris. Toris could only laugh softly and hug back.

Bentley, Toris's dog, jumped and barked at the two more in greeting than aggression.

"You wanna use one of our spare rooms or share my room?" Toris asked as they approached the stairs. He knew the answer already but liked to double check.

"Obviously, I'll share your room Tor! It's been, like, forever!" Feliks' accent was thick and made Toris smile as the two started to his room.

The house isn't so empty when he's around.. I wish he could live with me... maybe then I wouldn't be lonely. Toris scoffed at his thought. It almost sounded like he did more than miss his best friend.

"What brings you back here?" Toris asked curious.

"Well, I just wanted to visit my best friend!"

Lie.

"I missed you so much, Tor."

Not a lie.

Feliks laughed aloud, it was a beautiful sound to Toris.

Toris nodded understandingly. "Sure, makes sense." All the while he kept thinking of the true motive for the sudden visit.

Feliks laughed again. "Also, I was thinking... Ya know, we graduate next May, so why not go to the same college..? I mean yeah it's June.. But like, let's talk about doing that..?" He questioned, and Toris nodded full of sympathy.

They went up the stairs in silence and sat in Toris' room both talking while their minds ran a mile a minute. Toris glanced at his friend, and fuck, he knew what he wanted. Toris inwardly sighed and scolded himself for thinking that way. That stupid, stupid way.

Feliks brushed his blond hair back and suddenly announced, "Tor! Let's take a road trip." Feliks grinned.

Toris blinked shocked, "w-what?"

"I mean, why not? It's only June! Let's visit Norway! Or China! Like, let's totally leave this awfully judgmental place!"

Toris laughed now, he nodded through his laughter. "Why not?"

Feliks grinned, "go ask your mom! Call her and we can leave tomorrow."

"T-That's a little soon.." Toris said shakily.

Feliks nodded, listening to his friend's concern. "How about in two weeks then?" He countered assuring his companion.

Toris nodded and picked up his cell to go talk to his mom.

Late that night Feliks told the truth in the darkness of Toris's room.

"The real reason I'm here isn't as noble as the reason I've been tellin you." He exhaled. "My parents know I'm gay and well, they aren't happy. They didn't kick me out, but I left on my own. I left to go the one person who'd receive me with no notice. I told my mom about me and who I am and she seemed okay with it but now she's ignoring it. And, well, my dad force outed me." Feliks dry heaved weakly before pressing on. "My parents think being gay is a choice and they want me to decide against being gay." Feliks finished his story, shaking.

"I've got you now." Toris murmured and bent down to hold his best friend.

-

The two boys sat on the plane, they'd settled on going to London then flying out to Germany and maybe going to a Nordic country.

The taller of the two was on the phone."Mom-" he sighs, "Mom. I'm with Feliks. Mom! I'm okay! MOM." Groaning, Toris almost hung up. "Don't suddenly act like you care!" This made him choke, "no... I didn't mean that.... I just was upset."

He wanted to punch a wall. Feliks glanced over at him with clear concern. "Toris, what's wrong? It's your mother again?" He asked.

Toris nodded slowly, "She's just irrational when I'm not with her at home. She thinks we're gonna get hurt or die." He sighed and closed his eyes.

Feliks sat watching his best friend slowly sink under his mother's crushing words and all he could say was, "I understand."

He mentally cursed themselves and his damn feelings. Why is everyone so smart and helpful and wise? Or am I just dumb? He was about to try and reassure Toris some more but got cut off by the flight attendant telling the passengers to buckle up because they'd be landing soon.

Feliks nodded. He felt angry with himself, his feelings, and everyone who said you can't date another guy.

His emotions swelled up as he sat in the small plane. He wanted to kiss to Toris or confess. And, he did. He leaned over and kissed Toris softly on the forehead. "I'm here, Tori." He murmured softly.

Toris looked at him in surprise with a hint of love in his eyes.

Feliks felt filled with such happiness and terror at the same time.

"Can I ask you a question?" Toris asked.

Feliks only nodded.

"Do you have feelings for me? I have some for you." Toris finally asked.

"I have feelings for you alright." Feliks shot back with a smile.

"Can I take you on a date when we get to London then?"

"Please."

Toris felt full of joy at that one word.