50 Days Apart

[Long Distance AU]

Alfred POV

Day 15, Ivan left fifteen days ago, I miss him a lot. we talk on the phone most nights but I can tell this out of town job is slowly draining his energy away... we've Skyped several times, but he has dark circles under his eyes... so do I, I really miss him. It's like all my energy and love is missing and I can only seem to find it when we talk. I'm not sure how we're suppose to last a month and a half without each other. I have to see him, soon. 

I think I'll surprise him for his birthday... That would be fun! He'd be so surprised and delighted and we'd kiss after so long... And I'd finally feel the warmth of skin and the smell of his hair again. that'd be great... It's only a fantasy as of now. I'm scared he might find someone better while he's in Russia. He loves me right?

Alfred stood up, closed his eyes and breathed in deeply. His phone beeped.

Ivan
: hey doll

Alfred grinned.

Alfred: hey babe

Ivan: how was your day?

Alfred: tiring and dull, yours?

Ivan: tiring

Alfred: Awe babe, I'm sorry about that

Ivan: me too but it's okay

Alfred: how's Russia?

Ivan: would be better if you were here.... Can we Skype?

Alfred: course dear

Alfred sent Ivan a Skype request and the two started talking, Alfred almost started crying because his boyfriend was so good to see and he was perfect even with the dark circles under his eyes. The second the connection came Ivan was grinning, Alfred was too.

They just sorta stared at each other and it was calm. 

Finally Ivan spoke, "I may be able to come back early." 

"Really?!" Alfred felt his heart race.

"I said maybe, that means probably not but I want to really badly." 

Alfred watched Ivan momentarily.

 "I'm-I.. I miss you." He said smiling weakly.

 "I miss you more." A sigh, then, "I love you so much, Alfred." 

Alfred smiled sadly, "I love you more." 

A beat of silence.

Ivan broke the silence again, "my birthday is in two weeks. You're coming to visit then, right?"

"Of course, I'll try! I wouldn't miss it for the world." Alfred said excitedly.

"You don't think you'll be able to, do you?" Ivan said.

"I'm sorry babe." Alfred replied.

They both looked away. 

"How's Gianna doing?" Ivan asked trying to distract himself. 

Alfred whistled and a large golden retriever bounded in.

"She's doing just fine, I had her get some shots a few days ago and she's not fully forgiven me yet." Alfred explained, rubbing the dog's ears.

"I wouldn't either, to be fair." Ivan said teasingly.

Alfred laughed long  and loud making Ivan grin in turn. 

A comfortable silence followed, Alfred flopped onto his stomach and rested his head on his arms, Ivan sat cross legged.

"It's getting late." Alfred muttered, eyeing the clock.

"Hmm." Ivan looked over Alfred, he was in a t-shirt and sweatpants, his hair was messed up and he had bags under his eyes. 

"You need to rest, my love." 

Alfred looked crestfallen, "Ive! I love talking you to so much though!" 

Ivan chuckled, and fuck did Alfred loved that sound. 

"I love you, Alfie. Goodnight my little sunflower." 

"Goodnight my beautiful lover." 

"I love you." They said in unison and ended the Skype chat.

Ivan's POV

Day 46

Alfred is getting sadder and sadder every day, there isn't much I can do for him. I talk to him almost everyday but he's still not doing well. It breaks my heart to see him this way... everything about him is perfect but he's so lost and alone and I have to get back to him soon. 

I'm afraid. I'm scared he'll move on or become depressed. This is so hard on the both of us. 46 days and neither of us can stand it, I've got to do something.

Ivan stood up and stretched, he winced at the headache he'd gotten while sitting and thinking. He was about to call Alfred when his phone rang. 

"Hello? Mr. I-Ivan?" 

"Hello...?" Ivan said, calculating.

Who was this? It was a number he didn't know.... And a voice which was familiar.

"This is Matthew Williams, I'm Alfred's brother. Alfred is currently in the hospital. Please come soon." 

Ivan almost dropped his phone. "Why?" He choked out.

"He's fallen into an unresponsive state. He won't eat or drink. His brain activity is low. He'll be okay and discharged from the hospital in a few days if he becomes responsive.."Matthew added sadly. 

"What exactly happened?" Ivan asked, he was on the verge of tears. 

"I went into the bathroom last night and he was collapsed on the floor and I don't know exactly what he did but I called 911 in a panic." Matthew saif, voice softer. 

And suddenly, all of Ivan's fears were confirmed.

Ivan's POV

Day 50

"Mattie, I'm leaving the hospital tomorrow there was no need to call Ivan." Alfred tried to say. 

"Ivan is your boyfriend there was every need to call him. You weren't responding to anything! I thought you died."

Matthew turned to stare out the window and ignore Alfred. 

"Mattie! He shouldn't have to worry over me! He was in Russia for work, he shouldn't have had to come!" 

Sighing, Matthew turned back to Alfred. "He loves you. He'll travel back here. You'll have a reason to go on again, trust me."

Alfred sighed, sure he missed his boyfriend but Ivan had been in Russia, plus Alfred was okay now. 

The door flew open to reveal a tired Ivan and an upset nurse. "ALFIE! I'm here for you, I'm back. I won't leave you like that again. Matthew said you finally became responsive again but here I am." 

Alfred shifted in his bed, stunned. "IVAN!" He finally cried and he sounded so childlike and thrilled.

Grinning Ivan walked over to him and kissed him. The nurse fell back a little, clearly shocked and uncomfortable. 

Matthew looked at her, "Leave." He muttered.

Ivan had released Alfred and the two were hugging and Alfred was softly crying.

 All Matthew could hear was, "Imissedyouandmissedyou-" 

Alfred kissed Ivan's cheek, "Don't ever leave again." He said hoarsely. Ivan nodded and kiss Alfred again and again, "fifty days is too long." 

Nodding Alfred cuddled up to Ivan, he yawned, "I leave the hospital tomorrow and I can go home with you." 

Ivan giggled, "I can't wait."