Chapter 26

Things has settled for the night. Raven and Corey were cuddling in the hospital beds, while Owen had joined his brothers in the temporary sleeping area. The rest of the Toma team were lying in their beds, but the one who brought them all together wasn't sleeping nor was she in bed. She was currently standing across a grey eyed female.

"Elisa," Sang frowned at the clearly distressed female. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Elisa Holmes tilted her head back and closed her eyes. Tears threatened to escape as she remembered the heartbreaking emotions that was seen on her eldest son's face. She wanted to hold him in her arms once again, but the coldness towards her surprised her although she has suspected he would react to her like that. "I didn't think it was possible. I've tried so long and so many agents have died to save him. I couldn't look at the agent's families anymore because their daughters, sisters, sons, brothers, aunts, uncles, parents died so my son could be free. I had stopped all active missions towards him but one."

"One?" Sang questioned her. She thought back and a certain moment became clear. "Oh."

She chuckled without humor. "Yeah. We were so close but then you interrupted. But I'd like to think that you did more than the other agent would have. You got him out."

I shook my head and chuckled. "He's only here because I saw something in him. I think it was because I saw you in him but didn't realize it."

Elisa's lips quivered as she gave me a smile. "Thank you."

Shrugging, I sat in the chair, watching her as she brought out some liquor and two cups. She filled on up, pushing it in my direction. "You're welcome. He was quite stubborn that I save the others, too. He's just as stubborn as you." I crossed my arms. "He loves you, Elisa, but so much has happened. Your relationship won't just pick up from where you lost."

A mother figure that I've cherished sniffled. "I know. I don't know where to begin."

"Start with an apology and the truth." I said softly. "Next time, don't throw your family into his face."

I lifted my cup up. "Here's to new beginnings."

A small smile appeared on her face. "To new beginnings. Oh about new beginnings, I heard through the grapevine that Raven finally confessed to Corey."

I snorted. "About fucking time."

"I wish that Kayli wasn't a traitor, but I confess, she was wrong with them."

I sneered. "She broke their hearts. At least I broke her fucking neck."

She narrowed her eyes. "Oooh, you're cursing. You must be tired." She went off track. 

I rolled my eyes before pinning her with a deadpan stare. "I'm exhausted. I've been shot at, cursed at, betrayed, killed, and had to comfort people. I'm covered in blood, sweat, and tears. I want to shower and sleep so tell me what you need before I pass out right here."

A smirk flashed on her face before she wiped it off. If she hadn't, I would have leapt at her. Her arm reached out towards me with a folder. Grabbing it, I flipped through the pages. "This is a rescue mission?"

Leader Holmes nodded. "We have reports that our agent is still alive. He is being held by the Academy in a secure place. You'll meet up with another team and get him out. He's been there for too long."

I frowned at that last statement, being reminded of Mr. Blackbourne and Milo. "Our family was taken from us, and we spent too much time to get them. Sometimes I wonder what I could do to save Milo earlier."

"Time is tricky. Things can go as we expect or can go wrong, but at least we tried." Somber silence filled the room.

Sadness filled me. I always thought that once I was reunited with Milo, all of my sadness would disappear, but I was wrong. My heart still hurt, and I felt as if my head was still struggling to stay above water. "When do I leave?"

"Three days from now," Leader Holmes said. "Spend that time resting and reuniting with Milo. If you can, help Owen."

I stood up, stretching my arms and back. I winced as my joints popped. Turning around, I walked towards the door. Before I opened it, I spoke. "I'll keep him safe with my life."

As the door closed and the blonde agent walked down the hallway, the Phoenix Leader sighed, leaning back in her seat. She stared at the seat that was now empty. "That's what I'm scared of."

She blinked. her eyes going to the drawer beside her. With hesitant movements, she opened the drawer and picked up a picture. It was a small picture that had gone through so much. the edges were torn and slightly burnt, but the faces in the picture weren't damaged thankfully. She gently caressed the picture.

There were only two people in the picture. She was in it. Her lost youth seemed to glow in the moment frozen in time. She was kneeling, hugging a boy of four years old. His hair was slightly messy and black frames were crooked from her pressing her lips against his cheek. The little boy was smiling. His eyes were gleaming and his smile seemed to echo the laughter that she hadn't heard in 17 years. This was her son, her treasure.

He might not know it, but she loves him.