Chapter 2

Today an ambush on one of our facilities resulted with many of the boys being back in the hands of our enemy. My heart breaks at the thought of the boys that we painstakingly saved. They no longer wanted to be part of the Academy, yet the Academy is very possessive of their assets. It's been ten years since the Academy took all of our men, and I don't know when or even if I will see a day without their presence.

-Journal entry of the Leader of the Phoenix

The moon disappeared behind clouds, casting the night without any natural light. But darkness wasn't a problem for me. I walked down the streets. People clamored everywhere. Men with different collars were being pulled in every direction by the women who had purchased them for the night. I ignored them, focusing on the path ahead. The farther I walked, the less people surrounded me. I walked until I came to a building.

The tall building was at least ten stories tall that twisted. White marble gleamed with artificial lights. Windows were spaced every ten feet, yet I knew that there was a force field to stop any attempt of escape. The building was beautiful. A palace but also a prison.

Cars were pulled at the entrance and people stepped from their transport. A group of about a hundred women tittered as they walked up the stairs of the building. They were clothed in expensive clothes with diamonds and jewels around their necks and dangling from their ears. Their hair was swept up in beautiful hairdos and their faces were covered in masks that were accessorized with feathers, jewels, or gaudy design. They oozed money and influence, and behind their smiles were shark teeth readying to bid and take.

I pushed back my hood and stepped into the light. My dyed white hair was bone straight, hanging down to my waist. The contacts I wore were uncomfortable, and I blinked. The expensive cape I wore parted to show the dress I wore. The black dress was adorned with diamonds that gleamed like the stars in the sky. The white mask I wore covered my face completely. My mask was covered in diamond dust, making the mask glimmer softly in the light. My heals clicked as I made my way towards the group of women.

As I neared the steps, several women snapped their heads up. Disdain was in their eyes before they quickly covered it up with curiosity. A machine in the shape of an obelisk stood ten feet away from me. As I neared a machine to read my identification card, hope gleamed in several of their eyes. Hope that I wasn't allowed into the meeting. A small smile appeared on my face as I held out my white card and tapped the card on the point.

The machine beeped and spoke in a masculine voice. "Welcome, Prime Devonport."

I walked towards the group, ignoring the stares that were directed towards me. A woman in a dark blue outfit walked through the doors. Her hair was a blonde and was pulled back into a severely tight bun. Her face was devoid of any bold makeup, and her colorless lips thinned as she scanned us. "Welcome to the Bidding. Please follow me."

I followed the crowd, looking around. The walls were painted a cream color and were decorated with numerous pictures. Rooms branched to the sides, and the open doors revealed several rooms assigned to be meeting rooms between the occupants of the building and interested buyers. The woman led us to a ballroom. The ceiling was tall and grand chandeliers hung above me. Lights were dimmed, lighting the room with a golden glow. Waiters and waitresses with masks covering the top half of their head stood along a wall, ready to serve if called. The woman in the blue suit turned around. "The auction will start in a moment. Please, enjoy yourselves."

I watched as she disappeared through a door, leaving us alone. The waiters instantly moved, offering glasses of champagne. I scanned the room before noticing a woman walking towards me. She was taller than me. Raven black hair was braided into an elaborate plait and was pinned with rubies. Her dress was red but was quite scandalous. Scraps of fabric ran down her shoulders, covering her generous breasts before meeting at the navel and forming a pool of fabric that trailed behind her. Her lips were painted red, and her mask was a black half-mask that was bejeweled in red stones. Brown eyes peered from behind her mask. "You must be new. I'm Jade Williams."

I gave her a respectful nod. "Nice to meet you, Ms. Williams. My name is Gloria Devonport. I am new to the area."

Her lips curved into a sharp smile. "You're a Prime, right?"

"Yes, I am." I said through the mask. Women with O-negative blood was also considered Prime. They, like the men, are sought after and are richer than most. "What status are you?"

"I'm a Silver," she boasted. A waiter approached us, offering champagne. Jade sneered at the black collar around his neck. She grabbed a glass and spoke, making sure that the waiter could hear her. "Black collars are bottom feeders. They're worthless other than sewage cleaners. The Academy should have at least used Blue collars."

Anger flooded me, and I desperately wanted to punch her in the face. I wished I could talk to him without breaking my cover, but the man quickly moved away, disappearing through the crowd. Jade sniffed. "The Academy must be lacking funds to hire Black collars. They're the lowest. I guess it's only right for the lowest to serve the highest, right?"

Before I could act on my thoughts to punch her, the woman in the blue suit walked back in. "The Bidding is ready. Please follow me to the next room."

I walked forward, entering an adjoining room. Sofas were set in several rows, and women, including Jade, strode forward, vying for the front row. I settled in a sofa in the last row. The light was dim, and I sat onto the plush seat. Giggles were heard around the room before they were shushed by others. A platform was before us with lights focused on the middle. To the left of the platform was a curtain, and several women were staring at it.

A man with a yellow collar climbed onto the podium. He wore an expensive black suit and black shoes. His blonde hair was slicked back, and a plain white mask covered the top half of his head. "Welcome, women, to the Bidding. The Academy welcomes you to their establishment and hopes that you will be very happy with your purchases. I know that you are anxious to see them so let the Bidding begin."

With his words, the curtain was pulled back. A shiny black shoe was the first thing that I saw before the person stepped into the light. The room seemed to hold their breath at the sight of one of the things they hoped to purchase. A man strode towards the speaker. His body was clothed in an expensive tuxedo, but I could tell he was lean and muscular. His rich brown hair was pushed back behind an unpierced ear, showing the sharp features of the man's face. When he approached the speaker, he turned towards us. His eyes were beautiful. They were blue and crystal clear. And they were emotionless. "May I introduce to you the first of the Prime tonight. He is known as the Artist, Gabriel Morgan." The brown eyes behind the speaker's mask gleamed with greed. I knew that he was going to get paid quite well after tonight. "Now, shall we start the auction at $10,000?"