Chapter 4

A wide smile took over the auctioneer's face that showed too much teeth. His eyes grew round then squinted with obvious happiness at the amount of money I had offered. He laughed. "Does anyone else want to bid higher?"

No one spoke although I felt their eyes narrow at me with jealousness and hatred. When no one spoke, the auctioneer banged the podium with his gavel. "Sold to Prime Davenport."

A black masked man came towards my way with the black obelisk on a silver platter in his hands. When he came to my side, he bowed at his waist, lowering the platter. I looked up at him, noticing the blue collar around his neck and his lowered eyes. I lifted my card and lightly tapped it against the point. The silver light ran down the obelisk, signifying the end of my purchase. As the man scampered away, I looked back at the stage.

Owen Blackbourne gracefully walked down the platform and made his way towards me. Since I sat in the back, I noticed the way all the women were staring at his form. Almost unnoticeable, I saw the three other men make eye contact with the oldest Prime before looking away. When I looked back at the man walking towards me, my eyes connected with the emotionless grey eyes. I frowned before standing up to greet him.

Mr. Blackbourne bowed gracefully as he reached me. "Prime Davenport, it's a pleasure to meet your acquaintance."

I nodded and motioned towards the couch. His perfect brown eyebrow arched slightly, showing his slight surprise at my behavior. I had stood up as he approached, telling him that I was respectful, and signaled for him to take a seat without forcing him to kiss her hand or cheek. He gave a nod before sitting on the couch, looking at me. Behind my mask, I sighed silently, trying to think of another plan.

The man beside me talked softly so the others wouldn't hear me. "Do I not meet your wants, Prime Davenport?"

I turned my head to look at him. His eyes stared at me, searching my eyes. I tilted my head and smiled underneath my mask although I knew that he couldn't see me. "Do you know my wants are, Mr. Blackbourne?"

He was silent for a moment before speaking. "No." His gray eyes met mine through the mask. "Not yet."

We both fell silent as the orator spoke again. "The next prime who is also making his first debut is Mr. Dakota Lee. He is known as the Scholar due to his thirst for knowledge. He was born on January 3."

The curtains parted to allow another man step from the darkness. He was tall, not as tall as North but had some height. His hair was a dark chestnut and was swept back in a similar hairstyle that the man beside me had. Black frames perched on his nose. Behind those frames were almond shaped eyes and long lashes that framed captivating dark green eyes. His lips were drawn into a straight line. Other than his pressed lips, he was emotionless.

"Shall we start at $100,000?" The man asked. Within moments, he was bought to an older woman who was old enough to be his mother. The orator smiled at the sum. "Sold to Silver Holden for $419,000."

I watched as Dakota Lee walked across the stage. As soon as he sat down, the curtain was drawn back. A man with red hair walked through. A few gasps could be heard around me at the sight of the man. Although he was shorter than North, his body was more muscular. It was obvious that he worked out to a point to a point that was muscular but not too muscular that would make him stiff. Dead blue eyes stayed straight, not even bothering to look at the crowd of women who looked at him in lust and awe.

"Mr. Nathan Griffin was born on October 5. He is known as the Athlete. Due to his stamina, he excelled in sports." The orator gave us women a sly look. "And other things, too."

Giggles rang around the room although I grimaced at the lewd statement. Every moment that passed made me hate the man. Although he wore a yellow collar, he didn't have to rub these men's unfortunate positions in their faces because he was jealous.