Chapter 3

The Artist didn't blink when the auctioneer basically shouted the starting price. Women murmured around me, surveying the Prime. Smiles curved upward on some faces while some had frowns. The auctioneer smiled, oozing charm. "Forgive me, Ladies, for forgetting. Let me introduce Gabriel Joseph Morgan. He is one of eight of the Prime that recently turned eighteen," he winked, "which means that one of you beautiful women will be his first." Women giggled around me, blushing. I disregarded the idiotic women and focused on the man. He was handsome as were most of the Prime, yet the emptiness in his eyes strung a chord in me. Behind the façade, I knew that he didn't want to do this. For his virginity to be sold to the highest bidder was humiliating, but in this society ran by the Academy, his opinion didn't matter. It was his duty to help his nation by reproducing with women most suitable in hope to have a male baby. "He was born on November 17. During his education, he learned French which is very admirable. He can play the guitar and sings. He has an eye for fashion and completely dotes on women with high fashion tastes."

"$150,000," a woman in the first row called out. Her mask was a turquoise blue with a peacock feather glued to the side, caressing her cheek.

The auctioneer's eyes lit up. "$150,000. Would anyone want to bid higher?"

"$175,000," a woman in black purred. Her eyes roamed down Gabriel's body and licked her lips. She was at least thirty years old, yet she wanted an eighteen-year-old boy. For a moment, the expressionless look in Gabriel's eye faltered, and a look of something unexplainable appeared. He didn't want this.

"$192,000." A girl barely seventeen called out. Her blue gown was bedazzled in way too many jewels and her mask didn't match her outfit. Add the Barbie pink lipstick and way too much blush, she was a mess. She was probably a spoiled kid wasting her parent's money.

The auctioneer was practically jumping up and down in excitement. "$192,000. Any more bids?" After a moment, he banged his gavel down on the podium. "Sold to Silver Henderson! Please place your card to the obelisk and your transaction will be completed."

A person appeared from the shadows. He wore a blue collar around his neck and carried a black obelisk on a platter. He knelt before the girl who tapped her silver card on the tip. A silver light ran down the obelisk before it fell quiet.

Gabriel Morgan moved after the transaction was done. With graceful movements, he walked towards Silver Henderson and bowed. He took her hand, raising it to his mouth and tenderly kissed it. The girl blushed before patting the seat as if he was a dog. All through the way, he was emotionless and robotic. It felt unnatural.

The auctioneer raised his throat. "Congratulations to Silver Henderson on the first transaction of the night. The next prime is known as the Prankster." The curtain peeled back, and a new person stepped through. "May I introduce you to Lucian Taylor."

I looked at the newcomer. He was very handsome. He could have been a model if he wasn't born a Prime. He was taller than Gabriel but was lean. His blonde hair was cut short into a fashionable haircut. He had high cheekbones and a strong chin. His eyes were a regular brown but there was something about him that screamed mischief and trickster.

"He is another of the Prime who has just become active. Mr. Taylor is the older of the two brothers. He is eighteen years. He was born on March 7 and can be very playful. His fun attitude has earned him the Prankster as he plays harmless pranks on his fellow Prime and teachers. He has a sweet tooth and can cook you any pastry you'd like."

"$135,000!"

A voice immediately spoke after. "$140,000."

Calls kept ringing out. The amount was slowly climbing higher until it reached $193, 000. The gavel once again pounded on the podium, and the obelisk came out. After the transaction was done, Lucian Taylor went to Yellow Falcon, a woman sitting the far side of the room.

The auctioneer was basically drooling at the large amounts of money. He looked down at the next card and smiled. "Next is North Taylor, the younger brother of Lucian Taylor. He is known as the Bad Boy."

The Bad Boy stomped out onto the stage and women fell quiet at the sight of the man. He was a giant, towering over six feet. His hair was a dark brown almost black but not quite. His eyes were also dark, probably the only thing that would link him to his brother Lucian. Thick brows, a broad jaw, wide shoulders, and muscles screamed his nickname as the bad boy. He had an edge about him that made him seem bold and rebellious. He was different than the others. Although his eyes were as emotionless as the others, his lips were pulled into a scowl. He didn't spare an effort to smile at the awestruck women. "He was born in September 11, making him six months younger than his brother. He excels at being protective and is known to be passionate."

"$125,000!" The girl who had bid for Gabriel called out. Her eyes gleamed as she watched North, forgetting about the man next to her.

Women soon outbid her, making her pout. Minutes went by until the number rocketed to the two hundred thousand. Suddenly, a call yelled out, making all the women pause. "$350,000"

My head whipped to the side, searching for the woman who bid such a high number for North Taylor. A woman in a slinky red dress rose, a confident smirk on her face. Jade held her head high, running her eyes down North's impressive body. "I bid $350,000."

"Sold to Silver Williams." The gavel pounded, and North strode towards Jade. Jade smiled when North kissed her hand. When he released her hand, she grabbed his arm. A smile spread on her face, and I knew that she was sadistic. She loved to cause pain on others, no matter whether they were male or female, high or low status. She pleasured herself on the pain of others. I watched as her nails sunk into the cloth covering his arm. I knew that he felt pain, but he didn't make any sound or movement of the pain.

I stayed quiet, watching and waiting. When the curtain pulled back again, I watched as perfection walked onto the stage. He was tall. His hair was a soft brown and was swept back without a single strand of hair out of place. A pair of black rimmed glasses perched on his nose. Steel gray eyes swept over us, taking in everything. Like Gabriel and Luke, his emotions were guarded. He stood beside the auctioneer, waiting for the man to speak. When the man didn't say anything, I looked at him. The auctioneer was looking at the Prime with a look of awe and jealousy. When he regained his emotions, he chuckled and looked at the women in the crowd. "This is Mr. Owen Blackbourne, the Perfectionist."

The women's voices rose with murmurs and awe. Owen Blackbourne had been active for three years and is one of the most well known of the Prime. He is the best and women would risk all their money for him. The look that the auctioneer had given Blackbourne was awe because of his reputation and jealousy that he would never have the fame and money and reputation of this famous man. Yet when I looked at him, I saw a man that was tired. A man that was sick of this lifestyle but had to continue to survive.

Before the auctioneer could say one more word, a woman screamed out. "$200,000!"

Women gawked in surprise and outrage. Bids were screaming out, even from the women who had Gabriel, Luke, and North. Before I knew it, words flew out of my mouth. "One million dollars."

Eyes turned towards me, and the auctioneer faltered for a moment before he smiled. The room was silent that a pen dropping to floor could be heard. I refrained from gulping. I knew that I was a formidable opponent and probably the only one that could have him. Men and women with negative o were the best pairing, and no one would dare go against a Prime aiming for a Prime. "A million-dollar bid for Owen Blackbourne by Prime Davenport."

And I knew that my plan was already going down the drain.