Chapter 10

Luke POV

We followed the mysterious man down the sewer pipes. I kept a tight grip on the violin case. I don't know if the violin survived the fall. I tried to soften the flow by making sure that I took the brunt of it. Everyone was silent. Our breaths were quiet even, probably for not wanting to breath in the stench of the shit we were in literally.

I looked at the others. North was quiet as usual beside me, but the look of shock was in his eyes. It was even in my eyes, too. I never thought that we were ever able to be outside without the Academy breathing down our necks. My eyes widened at the collars still around my necks. How are we going to get these off?

I almost bumped into Victor's back when he came to an abrupt stop. Looking over his shoulder, I saw that we had come to another ladder which the person with the mask was climbing. A loud creak of metal had me wincing. The distorted voice called from above. "Come on up. We don't have enough time."

Victor climbed. Once he, Nathan, Kota, North, and Gabriel were up, Sean pushed me ahead of the others. Using one hand since the other was occupied with holding onto a violin, I managed to climb to the top. The scent of fresh air hit me, and I almost groaned with relief. I didn't remember the last time I was out in the free air without a supervisor.

I looked around me. We were on the outskirts of the city. The masked man closed the hatch, then waved at us to follow him. I followed behind the others into an abandoned building. The windows were broken and there was nothing inside besides cobwebs and dust. The others and I gathered in a circle, waiting for what the man was going to do.

"So you were able to get them out, Volto," a voice spoke from the shadows, making me and several others to jump. I turned to look as a person stepped into the moonlight. An older man, around sixty years old, appeared. His hair was a salt and pepper, and blue eyes looked at us with a kindness that reminded us of an old friend. Instead of a white collar around his neck, his neck was bare.

Sean sucked in a breath. His eyes widened at the mentor who had disappeared about eight years ago. "Dr. Roberts?"

The man that was our friend smiled softly. "Hello, Sean. Now what have I always told you. Call me Phil. Glad you're free."

Kota sputtered in shock. "You're supposed to be dead!"

Phil chuckled. "Not quite. First, let's get those collars off you."

He took something out of his pocket. The object was like a card. The surface was textured and dull. Phil stepped behind Michel, swiping the card at the collar at the nape of his neck. The collar beeped, making us tense up. My eyes widened as Michel slowly grasped the collar and removed it from his neck. Tears sprung in his eyes as he looked at the symbol of his slavery.

Phil went to each of us, removing our collars. My throat worked as I tried to keep the tears from falling. He smiled in understanding. "Here's to your freedom."

Owen spoke. His voice was hoarse with emotion. "Phil, what's happening?"

Phil chuckled. "Let me introduce you to Volto." He pointed to the silent and masked figure standing in the corner. "Volto is an operative from Phoenix where people of both sexes fight against the Academy. He will lead you to a safe place until we can get you out of the area." He looked at his watch then at us with a sad expression. "Our reunion has come to an end. Trust him."

At our nods, he turned towards Volto. "We fight and survive."

The distorted voice chuckled. "And if we fall, we rise as phoenixes. Godspeed, Phil."

"You, too, Volto. Keep them safe for me." Phil spoke. Volto nodded before motioning us to follow him again. With a last look at Phil, we trudged deeper into the building when we came upon a full-sized van. It was big, able to seat nine. Volto spoke as he went for the drivers seat. "Someone will have to double up or be in the trunk. Let's go."

We piled into the bus. I ended up next to Owen. As the van roared out of the abandoned building and towards the countryside, I turned towards Owen. "Here."

Owen took his violin, holding it. With a thick voice, he whispered. "Thank you, Luke."

I chuckled, trying to lighten the atmosphere. "No problem, Mr. B."

Chuckles went through the old name Owen had forced us to use when we were younger. It wasn't until we were sixteen that we confronted Owen and forced him to call us by our first names. North reached up from the row behind me, his hand smacking the back of my head. He glared at me, but his eyes held no heat, only pride and relief. "That's for making me worry, you overgrown child."

I rolled my eyes, "Sorry, cookie monster."

We settled into quietness as time passed and we had traveled deeper into the country. Gravel crunched underneath the tires as the car came to a stop. I peered out of the window, my eyebrows arching at the house in the middle of the woods. It was one-story and looked abandoned.

"Get out," Volto spoke for the first time in an hour.

I followed him into the house. Although the outside looked awful, the inside looked as if someone had been living here for a while. We came to a stop in the living room. There was couch and a coffee table that was covered in papers and tools. I turned, noticing that Volto was gone. Hearing sounds in the kitchen, my brothers and I walked towards the area.

I stopped abruptly. Nathan wasn't able to stop and walked into me, but my eyes was on the person standing in the middle of the kitchen. The white mask was on the counter, and the black cloak was thrown over a stool. Leaning against the counter was a person dressed in black pants and a black t-shirt. I would have said that the person was like North but the person was definitely not.

I mean, even the person's colors were the opposite. Green eyes that seemed to familiar shone like gems, and blonde hair hung down their back. Totally different than North. And well the person also has boobs which I know North does not have.

Her green eyes roamed over us until they stilled on someone. Realization went through me. No wonder why they seemed so similar. They were exactly like a certain brother's of ours.

Owen finally spoke the silence. "Prime Grace Devonport?"

The woman who bought the Perfectionist smiled softly. "Nice to meet you, Owen, but that's not my name."

Sean spoke. "And what is your name?"

A voice spoke, but it wasn't the woman who spoke. It was our brother, Michel. His eyes were filled with tears as he whispered. "Sang."

Tears filled her eyes. Her voice broke as she responded. "Hello, Milo."