Chapter 16

The night was moonless. The clouds had obscured any sight of the bright moon, and this was to our advantage. I looked through my scope. The Academy agents were slowly making their way towards our hideout. They were clearly led by Kayli, who was leading them past the traps I and the Toma team had set a few days ago. Keeping my voice low, I spoke, "How many are there?"

"Thirty approximately coming from the south and west," Corey's voice spoke back to me. I readjusted my ear monitors, making sure that they would be secure for what we were going to do.

Axel was calm and composed. "Twenty five coming from the north and east."

"Less than I expected," I mused. "Update."

Brandon's voice was hushed and quick. "All ready. I'm in position."

Raven cursed in Russian before he spoke. "In position, Luna. Those bastards will never see us coming."

"You know the plan. We need to capture the leader and Kayli. If not, that's something that we can't avoid."

At their noises of confirmation, I smirked. Everything was going to plan so far. Lowering my eye to my scope again, I noticed that they were approaching the line. "Get ready."

I regulated my breathing as the time count started. Ten. Breath in. Nine. Breath out. Eight. Readjust my position. Seven. Position myself. Six. Looked through my scope. Five. Targeted a target. Four. Placed my finger on the trigger. Three. Breath in. Two. Breath out. One. Shoot.

As my finger squeezed the trigger, familiar pain spread in my shoulder from the kick back, but I was used to the feeling. I immediately aimed at another person. Bullets started to echo in the forest. I grabbed my comms, yelling, "Brandon, now!"

A boom of explosions shook the forest as the bombs he had created was set off. Screams of our assailants filled the air, but I couldn't let myself feel any remorse for this yet. We had to survive. This is what our lives have become. Full of blood and screams.

"Shit," Corey muttered.

"What," I barked into my comms.

He panted. "They found my position."

I growled. I needed to hurry up with these people before I could try to get to Corey's position. "Hang on. Give me an update!"

"I'm almost done in the East," Brandon barked before another explosion rattled the trees.

Raven spoke. "Done with West. I'm making my way towards Corey's position."

Axel's voice was next. "Cover me, Sang."

I looked through my scope to see Axel rushing towards the agents. People fell to his guns as he shot them one by one. I supported him by taking those who were in his blind spot. As I aimed again, I noticed Kayli and the leader moving towards the cabin. Axel had noticed them and was starting to make his way towards them. "Wait, let them go for now." He must have heard me because he continued to fight the remaining Academy agents.

"Corey!" Raven's voice screamed through the comms. "He's injured. I'm pulling him out."

"Get to the Destination 2," I yelled. "Brandon, how is your side?"

"Good," he spoke before another boom of explosives colored the sky red and orange. "Last bomb went off. I'll get started on Phase 2."

As the last person last person fell to the ground, I stood from my position. "How are you, Axel?"

He panted heavily. "Tired. You're still a good shot. 800 meters, right?"

I smiled, packing up my sniper rifle. "I still hold the record for best sniper in Phoenix."