꧁Sirius' Sadness꧂

Professor McGonagall opened the doors to the entrance hall and allowed all students, with the exception of the new first years who were yet to arrive of course, into the great hall. The group all walked over and sat at the Gryffindor table as we did for every meal. I was sat between Sirius and Mary with Lily and James across from us. We were all chatting away as we usually did but something was different this time. Sirius was unusually quiet and wasn't looking at anyone in the group. Sure, he was still holding onto my hand like he always did but he seemed... distracted. I followed his gaze to find he was looking over at the Slytherin table. He was watching a specific group of people. Those people being Severus Snape, Evan Rosier and Regulus Black, Sirius' younger brother. I sighed, knowing exactly what he was thinking about and squeezed his hand gently. Feeling me squeeze his hand caused Sirius to turn his attention to me. "What's up, love?" He asked as he brought my hand to his lips and softly kissed it. "Are you okay? You went quiet and you were looking over there." I said as I tilted my head in the direction of Regulus, Severus and Evan. Sirius sighed and let go of my hand to wrap his arm around my waist. "I know I shouldn't be looking over but... I just need to know if he's okay. Reg and I were pretty close at one point but we just ended up drifting apart after I got sorted into Gryffindor and the family shunned me." He huffed. I leaned into Sirius' side and turned my head so I could gently kiss his cheek. "Everything will be okay. I promise." I spoke as reassuringly as I possibly could. "I know it'll be okay. Everything will always be okay as long as I have you with me, love." He said before we joined the group conversation again.

The sorting went by as slow as usual. Eventually, it was all done with and Professor Dumbledore summoned the food. The group continued with our conversation which had paused for the sorting. Sirius barely touched his food and rarely partook in the conversation. It worried me to see him like this, he was always so confident and happy, but now he seemed upset and closed off. Once the feast was over, we all headed back to the common room. I walked with Lily and gave James a look to signal that he should try talk to Sirius.

James' POV -

As we left the great hall, y/n took Lily aside and then gave me a look before looking at Sirius. I nodded, knowing exactly what she meant. I pulled Sirius aside and patted his shoulder. "You alright, mate? You've went really quiet today." I said with a worried expression. "I'm fine. Just, seeing Regulus kind of threw me off. I just hope they don't treat him horribly too, the poor kid.." Sirius sighed. "I'm sure he'll be fine, Padfoot. They weren't that bad to him, right?" I asked, putting my hand on his shoulder again. Sirius nodded. "Yeah, he'll be fine. It'll all be fine." He nodded as he spoke. We headed back to the common room together in silence, not another word was needed to be said.

Reader's POV

Lily and I had been sat on the couch for a couple minutes when the boys came in. James gave me a nod before going over and talking to Lily, clarifying that he'd spoken to Sirius. "You okay, love?" I asked as Sirius sat beside me. "I'm fine, darling. Just felt weird seeing Reg again.." he shrugged and wrapped his arm around me. "I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I'm guessing you miss him?" I said softly. "A hell of a lot." He laughed. I shifted so I could bury my head in the crook of his neck. I started to gently kiss his neck. I heard Sirius sigh. "You, love, drive me mad." He laughed and I could practically hear the smirk in his voice. I moved away and laughed a little. "Hey, that doesn't mean stop!" Sirius chuckled. "How about you stop cause you aren't the only people in the bloody room?" James chimed in. I turned bright red and Sirius just smirked. "I think that's my cue to do this!" Sirius said in a sing-song voice before picking me up. "Sirius! Put me down!" I squealed. "Nope! Let's go!" He laughed and carried me up to his dorm. The last thing I heard was James making a gagging sound before Sirius closed the dorm room door.

Sirius sat me down on his bed then laid down beside me. I turned and cuddled up to him. "Wanna talk about it?" I asked. Sirius nodded and took a deep breath. "I just... it's weird. I'm not going to have to go there anymore and I-I'm free but Regulus isn't.. he's still stuck there. Not that it's as bad for him, of course, but still..." "Sirius, this just proves you're a good big brother. It means you care about Regulus." I smiled and started playing with his hair, knowing that calmed him down. Sirius smiled softly and leaned closer to me. "Thanks, love. You always know how to make me feel better." I smiled and kissed his cheek. "It's no problem, Siri. I'd do anything to see you smile." I said as I snuggled closer to him.

Eventually, we got onto the conversation of classes and trouble that could be caused in them. Mainly, it was Sirius asking me if he could ask Professor McGonagall to the next ball, whenever it might be. "So, let me get this straight. You made a bet with James that you are more likely to get McGonagall to be your date to the next ball than he is to get Dumbledore to be his date to the next ball?" I asked, holding back laughter. "Yes! Now, you know I'd much rather go to the ball with you, love, but I don't want to loose a bet with James-" Sirius chuckled. "Okay fine, you can take Professor McGonagall to the ball. This does mean I get to take Slughorn though." I laughed. "Come on, love. You could do much better than Slughorn! How about you go with Lily?" Sirius suggested. "Perfect!" I said. We spent the next while going over Sirius' plan to ask Professor McGonagall to the ball. The funny thing about all this is, a hall hasn't even been announced. It's only the start of the first term and Sirius thinks there'll be a ball.

I had began to doze off while cuddling up to Sirius when the door swung open, hitting the wall which made a noise that made me sit bolt upright. "Right! Padfoot, Cotton, you need to stop being here all the time! We need to use the dorm too you know!" James said. "Oh sod off potter!" I laughed and rested my head on Sirius' chest again. "But I want my dorm back!" James whined. "Well, Prongs, you're just as bad with Li-" Remus started but stopped when he saw the look James was giving him. "Well, personally I'm fine with them being in the dorms." Remus said before sitting on his bed. "Yeah, that's just because you're always off somewhere else with your girlfriend, Niss, Moony!" James complained. "Prongs, just because I'm faster than you at getting my girl to the dorms doesn't mean you have to be moody." Sirius chuckled. I swatted his chest slightly "Hey! I'm right here!" I said, a bit annoyed. "Sorry love!" Sirius said and wrapped his arms around my waist. The boys continued bickering but I slowly drifted off to sleep.

A/N - Helloooo! I finally finished this chapter! I've had it sitting half finished for ages... Anyway, I need some help. I have two main things to happen for this year but that's about it. I need ideas for the chapters so I'm not just jumping over a bunch of time. If there's anything specific you want to see, let me know! I'm trying to write more for this story like how often I wrote when first bringing it out.  I have the final chapters planned out but I still need to finish sixth year and write seventh year for those chapters to make sense so ideas would be greatly appreciated! Make sure to take care of yourselves! Love you all /p ❤️