꧁Another Letter꧂

There was only one more day until we would return to Hogwarts. Euphemia had healed Sirius' wounds on Christmas and healed my knuckles using episkey just as I thought she would have. Sirius and I spent a lot more time alone together since James was always hidden away in his room writing to Lily. I always laughed whenever I walked by seeing the lovestruck look in his eyes. I only laughed because it reminded me of the way I look at Sirius at times.

I was sat in my room, reading my favourite book, 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' by Newt Scamander, when an owl flew into my room. I recognised it instantly as Amos' owl. I still had a few owl treats for my own owl so I gave my brother's owl a couple. The owl dropped a letter then flew off. I slowly opened the letter then began reading it. The letter read -

Hey y/n!

I wanted to say I hope you had a great Christmas break! Please I pray to Merlin please tell me you had your own room and didn't share with Sirius!? Anyways, I hope you liked the gift I got you and had a nice time with the Potters. I won't be seeing you much the rest of the year since I have my N.E.W.Ts I'm going to spend most of my time in the common room studying. Best of luck with your O.W.Ls!

Sincerely,
Amos.

I smiled down at the letter then I read the last sentence again, 'Best of luck with your O.W.Ls!' I forgot I had O.W.Ls this year. 'Merlin's sake!' I sort of shouted. After I shouted, James and Sirius ran into my room. 'You okay, Cotton?' James asked. I sighed and nodded. 'I'm fine, don't worry. It's just I realise our O.W.Ls start after our first week. I can't be botheredddd..' I groaned. The boys both looked at each other before laughing at me. 'Oh shush! I huffed. 'Don't worry, darling. You'll do brilliantly!' Sirius said as he walked over and sat down next to me. 'Okay, I'm off to go write to Lily!' James said as he left Sirius and I alone. 'He's obsessed.' Sirius chuckled. 'Mhm..' I hummed before dropping my book on my head and groaning. 'What's up?' Sirius asked. 'O.W.Ls.' I huffed. 'Like I said, you'll do just fine.' Sirius said softly as he placed a kiss on my forehead. 'You're such a big softie!' I laughed as I hugged Sirius and nuzzled my head into his chest.

We were laying like that for the next few minutes before James reentered the room. 'Hey Padfoot, Cotton. You do realise we go to Hogwarts tomorrow and need to pack, right?' James laughed. Sirius and I jolted up. I rapidly started packing away my stuff while Sirius ran down the hall.

After about 2 hours, with a break an hour in for dinner, I had finished packing. James came into my room. 'Hey Cotton! What you up to?' James said as he jumped down beside me. 'Nothing much Prongs, just chilling.' I said. I was sat in an armchair that was in the corner of my room. James sat on the arm of the chair I was sat in and leaned his hand on his chin. 'Padfoot's still packing. I'm boredddd.' James groaned. I laughed as I got up and pulled James up with me. 'What are you doing?' He asked. 'Well my dear Prongs, according to McGonagall, we're going to need dress robes next year which most likely means a ball which means dancing. So, I'm going to help you dance!' I smiled. I knew James couldn't dance because of a party we had went to last year for the engagement of Narcissa Black, Sirius' cousin, and Lucius Malfoy. James and I were pretty good friends, well I'd say we were, so we danced together. Sirius was there but I was far to nervous to go up to him at that point. James had stepped on my toes about 20 times within 2 minutes. James smiled at me gratefully. 'Thank you Cotton! You're my saviour!'

We made a space on the floor in my room and I took one of James' hands in mine and placed my other hand on his shoulder. 'Uh, where does my other hand go?' He asked. 'My waist.' I said bluntly. 'Your what?!' He asked. 'You heard me!' I laughed. James placed his hand lightly on my waist and we started dancing. 'One, two, three! One, two, three!' I said as I slowly allowed James to take the lead. After a while, I was able to stop counting and James was fine on his own. 'You're a great teacher Miss Diggory.' James said as he looked down at me. Damn why are all these boys, except Peter of course, so tall?! I thought. 'Why thank you Mr Potter.' I smiled up at him. James spun me around and resumed his grip on my waist when I heard the door creak slightly. Sirius was stood at the door. His expression looked both confused and hurt.

James and I looked at each other, both panicking. 'So. Behind my back?' Sirius grunted. 'No! Godric No! Sirius let me explain! It's definitely not what it looks like!' I pleaded as my eyes started to water. I pulled away from James and ran up to Sirius. 'I found out from McGonagall that we need dress robes next year which probably means a dance so I was helping to-' I started rambling. 'I don't want to hear it.' Sirius cut me off and stormed off to his room. I broke down on the floor in tears. 'J-James. Go.' I said through sobs. James just nodded and left. I heard arguing coming from down the hall. Well, not arguing, it was more like Sirius shouting and James trying to explain. I just sat, sobbing. Next thing I knew, Euphemia walked into my room. 'Y/n, dear. What on earth happened?' Euphemia asked. I looked up at her with teary eyes. 'S-Sirius found m-me teaching J-James how to d-d-dance and assumed the w-worst.' I said between sobs. 'Oh Merlin's name!' Euphemia sighed. She bent down beside me and pulled me into a hug. 'It's going to be okay darling, Sirius will come around.' She said while patting my back. 'Thanks Euphemia..' I mumbled.

———————————————————————————

Sirius' POV -

I honestly couldn't believe what I just saw! Y/n and James were holding onto each other, dancing around the room! Right under my nose! They must've heard the door or something because they turned and looked at me then at each other. I decided to clear the silence and say 'So. Behind my back?' I spoke really coldly.  Y/n ran up to me, she sounded scared. I didn't listen to what she had to say if I'm being honest. She started rambling on and on. 'I don't want to hear this.' I said as I stormed out. I heard her fall onto the floor and it made my heart break. I made her like this I thought. But she was in there! With my best friend! I thought. My anger resumed and I stormed into my room. 'Padfoot, please! Can I just explain?' I heard James plead with me. 'Explain? EXPLAIN?!' I roared. 'YOU WERE IN THERE DANCING WITH MY GIRLFRIEND! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE MY BEST FRIEND JAMES!' I roared. 'Padfoot, please just listen..' James begged. 'DON'T PADFOOT ME! YOU AND HER HAVE BEEN DOING THIS BEHIND MY BACK, HAVEN'T YOU?!' I screamed. 'No Sirius, she was teaching me how to dance because McGonagall told her we'd need dress robes next year which means a dance.' James said. I felt my stomach and heart sink. 'I-I'm so sorry. I jumped to conclusions..' I mumbled. 'It's okay Padfoot. You don't have to apologise to me. If you want to apologise to someone, apologise to y/n.' James said softly. I nodded. 'I'll go apologise right now. Merlin! I'm such an idiot.' I said as I headed towards y/n's room. I wouldn't be surprised if she hates me after what I said.. I thought.

———————————————————————————

Reader's POV -

Euphemia and I had moved over to sit on my bed. 'I've got to go dear, Fleamont and I had something we had to discuss. Will you be okay?' Euphemia asked. I nodded as she left. I heard another voice in the hall, but I couldn't hear the words clearly. The only thing I heard was 'She's heartbroken.' It was Euphemia's voice. I wriggled under the duvet and covered my head. I heard the door creak open. 'Y/n?' It was Sirius. I pulled the duvet off my head a bit, just so my eyes were peaking over it. My eyes were red and puffy from crying. 'Y/n, can we talk?' I nodded slightly. Sirius sat down on top of the duvet beside me. 'I'm really sorry, I jumped to conclusions. I really shouldn't have said what I did.' 'I-I uhm.' I mumbled, my throat ached slightly from the sobbing. 'Am I allowed to pull down the duvet?' He asked. I nodded. I was now sat beside Sirius with nothing shielding me from him. I looked down at my toes since I was curled up in a ball while Sirius was staring at me. 'I really am sorry. Do you forgive me?' He said, giving me his big puppy dog eyes. 'Damn you Sirius.' I chuckled slightly. 'Sooooo? Am I forgiven?' He asked. I nodded again. 'Thank Godric and his Glorious Beard!' Sirius exclaimed as he pulled me into a tight hug. 'I'm so so so sorry for over reacting, love. It was really stupid.' He whispered into my hair. 'It's okay. I'm just glad you aren't angry anymore.' I leaned into his chest and allowed him to tighten his grip on me. I don't really remember what happened next, all I know is that I fell asleep while Sirius was holding me.

A/N - Hey! I managed to get this chapter out today! There was slight trouble in paradise in this chapter. I dunno I just came up with it 😹 but I hope you enjoyed today's chapter! The slight argument, though it didn't last long, will probably set up for a few things I have planned for the story. That's all for now! I'm trying not to put an author note at the end of each chapter but yeah 😹 bye for now and stay safe! ❤️