Ch 26 - No More Secrets

How does one figure this out?

Enjoy.

~~~~~

You had hugged your mother goodbye after hours of staying at her apartment. It was a great time. Seeing her happy and she adored Asia. It was great knowing that this was all working out fine. Everything was good. But there were many questions now that it was late afternoon and before you knew it, you and Asia were going to be at the big table eating with everyone at the manor. It was only a matter of time.

The two of you were walking home and holding hands. Asia realized that something had been bothering you. There was no way she can let this one go. She had to ask. "Honey, what's going on?"

"Of what exactly?" You asked.

She squeezed your hand. "About your father. Please tell me."

"Something doesn't add up to the story. If I told you or anyone that my father left my mother and I because of a Christian branch church, wouldn't you say that's weird? That something just isn't right?"

"Well, yes. They would want him to be a family man. There was no other woman involved?" Asia pondered.

"My mother said no. He devoted more time to that church. And there has been Fallen Angels that have been there so much. I guess I don't get it maybe. Do you know what I mean? Fallen Angels, and my father leaves because of faith in which I don't know any faith that says leave your wife and kid behind. Something is screwy."

"You want to find out for yourself. Don't you..." Asia sighed.

"I do. I know I have no right in comparison to the others like you and a few others in the house, but I remember the pain that brought me and my mother. If I didn't make a deal Rias the two of us would still be suffering. I'm not here if you didn't save me. Which, kind of funny thinking back on how the pretty blonde that saved me ends up being my girlfriend."

Asia giggled. "I had a dream before about dating a someone I saved. I just wasn't sure on who."

"I imagined so. But do you mind if I try and do some digging before we sit for dinner? I want to see how Howie is doing and go from there. Gather myself I guess."

"Okay. You'll promise me you won't do anything reckless on your own right?"

"Reckless? We're Devils..."

"Honey." Complained Asia. "I don't want you going out by yourself and looking into things. I want to help."

"I know you do. And every time a guy leaves his girlfriend, friends, and family behind it just ends up biting him. I know better than that. I just want to gather myself, ask questions, and figure it out. That's all I want."

She smiled. "I'm glad. After you think I would ask Rias to see what she knows. Maybe she can figure something out."

"I was going to. Seemed like the smart thing to do. Someone has to know. And better yet, I don't even know where my father is. And from everything I'm adding up, I don't know if he's even alive. What do you think?"

"I don't know. I just think that there is so much going on and I have no clue on what is next. But was your mother able to contact him? If he's at the church a whole bunch then wouldn't he be easy to find?" Asia made a good prediction. Something is wrong. All of it. Location, reasoning, and it's still getting nowhere.

"I give up. I'm going to Rias after a few minutes. In the meantime I'll see how Howie is doing."

"Mind if I go with you?" She asked.

This is when you got a little nervous. "Yeah, sure thing." I hope he knows the drill.

Not too far longer do you get inside the manor, up the stairs, and to your room. Opening the door and going from there. "Howie? It's me and Asia."

The owl hovered over to the top of the door. Then as you spread your other arm out, he flew down to land on your forearm. "Good timing."

"Uh!"

"Hold on..." Asia's eyes widened. "Did he just-"

"Sorry to hold out on you." Said Howie. Amazing. The British accent and vocabulary of a butler was coming to light. "How long have-"

"The whole time. He found out just a mere few days ago." Nodded Howie.

"Honey why didn't you tell me?" She squeaked. 

"Howard." You glared at him. "You wanted to keep this secret. I didn't bring that up."

"Correct. However the bound between the two of you is getting much deeper. I can feel it. Therefore, no more hidden information from each other. I do apologize Asia. However, if I did speak out, it wouldn't truly be the same bound you and him have now. If I gave both of you the information verbally it just would not be the same. Instead the two of you have gotten closer and here it is. You two are quite the couple. And I must say I do appreciate the nest. It is lovely and ever so magnificent."

"Thank you and you're welcome..." This was going to take a second. "Wow. I can't believe its so true. A talking owl. I wish Rasai could talk. But he's adorable as is."

"And notably didn't shock the two of us." Nodded Howie.

"Thank goodness." You sighed with a chuckle.

"So Master-" Howie got cut off.

"Howie. (FN) please. You're family."

"So (FN), what have you came here for? How can I assist?"

"I think I know something is fishy with the situation of my father. Apparently after being a serious member of a church, he left my mother and I. I was real little."

"I say." Howie shook his head. "That doesn't quite make much of sense. Religion can teach morals. Why leave?"

"Exactly. So, my old man even alive? Something tells me he's not. My mother said she couldn't find him. No child support, no location, and I wonder if there was even a report of him missing."

"You have a small point. If we know he's alive then someone is keeping his identity a secret. He didn't by any chance pass away, there would be an obituary of some sort. Rather, an acknowledgement." Howie was having the wheels turning. He was completing all of the thoughts you have been trying to process for the last few minutes. "Does Master Rias know much about the church?"

"She should know a whole lot. But question Howie, should everyone know about your native tongue?"

"Human?" He pondered.

"Technically a language, but yes."

"Granted." He nodded.

"Welp. Here goes nothing. You all ready?" You look at Howie and Asia.

Asia nodded. "Let's go Honey."

~~~~~

This seems like a cute family.

-Rel