Chapter seven

Kaylee and Edmund rushed into the room where Peter and Lucy were talking, ''Pete. You'd better come quickly.'' Edmund stated as the oldest and youngest Pevensies looked at each other before rushing over to Edmund and Kaylee, running through the tombes.

They stood on top of the tomb as they looked down, the army of Moriaz walking up to them, Kaylee, Caspian, Lucy, Peter, Susan and Edmund shared worried glances between each other as a catapult arrived in their sight as well. 

Kaylee's glare hardened as Moriaz marched up the front on his horse, the kings and queens looking at each other as Kaylee took the lead of walking back inside, already thinking of a plan.  

''Cakes and kettledrums.That's your next big plan? Sending a little girl into the darkestparts of the forest?'' Trumpkin looked around before adding another word. ''Alone!''

''It's our only chance.'' Peter answered him, his eyes going over to his sisters.

''And she won't be alone.'' Susan spoke up from besides her sister. Trumpkin walked over to Lucy, a pleading look on his face as he looked at her.

''Haven't enough of us died already?'' 

''Nikabrik was my friend too. But he lost hope.'' The badger spoke from besides Edmund and Kaylee. ''Queen Lucy hasn't.'' He looked at the dwarf. ''And neither have I.''

''For Aslan.'' Reepicheep spoke as he held his sword up. 

''For Aslan!'' A bear followed as the others looked at Peter. 

''Then I'm going with you.''

''No. We need you here.'' she spoke quickly, as Peter spoke up.

''We have to hold them off until Lucy and Susan get back.'' His gaze went to Kaylee, silently asking for a solution, but before she could speak, Caspian's voice ran through the space.

''If I may... '' Kaylee gave a nod as she moved her hair out of her face, tilting her head at Caspain. ''Miraz may be a tyrantand a murderer ... but as king, he is subject to the traditions ... and expectations of his people.'' Peter looked at him, urging him to continue. ''There is one in particular that may buy us some time.''

Kaylee and Edmund looked at each other as they walked into the camp of Miraz, Kaylee's dress bouncing around her legs as they came to a halt, Edmund grabbing a paper as he began to read. ''I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel and emperor of the Lone Islands, in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle. The fight shall be to the death. The reward shall be total surrender."'' He rolled up the paper again, both him and Kaylee standing tall as they stood next to each other.

''Tell me, Prince Edmund,''

''King.'' He interrupted him, earning a frown from Miraz. 

''Pardon me?''

''It's King Edmund, actually.'' He shook his head at himself as he continued. ''Just "King," though. Peter's the high king.'' When Miraz still frowned he nodded at him. ''I know, it's confusing.''

Miraz held up a hand, indicating for him to stop speaking. ''Why would we risk such a proposal when our armies could wipe you out by nightfall?''

''Haven't you already underestimated our numbers?'' Kaylee questioned him, a small smirk tugging on her lips. ''I mean, only a week ago Narnians were extinct.''

''And so you will be again.'' He countered back at her, Edmund speaking up quickly. 

''Well, then you should have little to fear.'' Miraz laughed at him, shaking his head at the two teenagers. 

''This is not a question of bravery.''

''So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age?'' Kaylee questioned, a smile plastered on her face as Edmund nodded in agreement. 

Miraz leaned forward in his chair. ''I didn't say I refused.''

''You shall have our support, Your Majesty.'' One of his councilman spoke up. ''Whatever your decision.'' Than, his right hand man spoke up. 

''Sire, our military advantage alone provides the perfect excuse to avoid - what might otherwise be...''

''I'm not avoiding anything!'' Miraz shouted at him, jumping out of his seat as he looked down on him. 

''I was merely pointing out that my lord is well within his rights to refuse.''

''His Majesty would never refuse.'' A swordman spoke up from besides Edmund and Kaylee. ''He relishes the chance to show the people the courage of their new king.'' 

Miraz pointed at Edmund. ''You. You should hope your brother's sword is sharper than his pen.'' As the two teenagers turned around, Kaylee smiled at him as she low-fived him, going unnoticed by the enemy. 

So sorry for being inactive but I was getting some time off from everything around me to get myself in the right head space again. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and hopefully I'll be uploading really shortly again. If you enjoyed this chapter please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated! See you soon!

-X Violet's-library