Chapter five

Kaylee looked around her, noticing Edmund working on his new sword and Caspian was working with a map. Kaylee's head then shot up at Tavros' amused laughter from one of the standings near her. "He's talking to birds!" The minotaur laughed wholeheartedly before a crew member chimed in, chuckling while giving Tavros' chest a light slap, "He's mad as a loon, that one."

Kaylee let out a giggle which proceeded into a chuckle when Tavros in continued amusement landed a rather forceful but friendly slap to the crew member's back, causing the crew member to crumble and nearly tumble over the railing with a grunt.

She had walked up to Caspian, looking at the map as she tried to figure out where they would be going. She studied the map, remembering the many adventures she had with the Pevensies in their beloved Narnia. Caspian gave her a quick smile as Eustace came tumbling out from one of the cabins with a long knife in his hand, not looking in front of him, causing him to run straight into Tavros, a couple of others and finally Kaylee, sending her tumbling into Caspian who caught her but not before she collided with his chest and she let out a hiss of pain.

"Watch where you're go-..." She tried to start, but was cut of by Reepicheep's voice.

"Trying to run away?" Reepicheep's stern yet taunting voice shouted after the boy as the mouse passed them in an obvious pursuit of the despicable boy.

"What has he done now?" Kaylee sighed before looking towards the mouse and the boy. A ghost of a smile, however, came across her face at seeing Reepicheep so easily toying with Eustace.

"Are you all right?" Caspian asked concernedly, looking at the wound on her head as he found a small amount of blood on his hand. Kaylee gave a nod as she waved it off. "Fine, Caspian"

Caspian huffed, a satisfactory smile lighting his face up at seeing Reep force Eustace to fight him by jabbing at his stomach causing the boy to shrink away each time, "That was for stealing, that was for lying."

Kaylee laughed when the mouse proceeded to slap Eustace with the orange, "And that was for good measure." The mouse then laughed as Eustace finally began jabbing away at him, and failing miserably, "That's the spirit! We have ourselves a duel. Catch."

Drinian caught the orange easily, a smirk evident on his else stoic face, Kaylee's shoulders shook as she tried to contain her laughter, hiding her face in her brother's chest while Edmund and Caspian didn't even try. The crew gathered around here and there with amused smiles and gleeful eyes all around.

"Stop flapping your wings like a drunken pelican! Poise!" Reepicheep's frustrated voice rung out. The comment caused Kaylee to laugh out loud, backing away from Edmund's chest to lean on his shoulder, trying to keep herself upright. 

"Now, lunge with your foot! Not, your left, your right." The mouse chatised the boy, who was red-faced and desperately tried to keep up with the mouse. "That's right, that's right –oohh, oh no!" Suddenly, Reepicheep seemed to lose his balance on the railing at Eustace' jabs, falling overboard. Kaylee's heart sank for a second until she noticed the sneaky mouse emerge from the floor, sneaking up on Eustace on his right by his head. Reepicheep then tipped Eustace on his left shoulder with his tail, of course causing Eustace to turn around confusedly whereas Reepicheep took a swing and kicked Eustace in the back, immediately causing Eustace to lose his balance and knock over a barrel which Scarlet found to be oddly out of place, "And that...is that."

And then a scream that of a small girl sounded shortly and only Caspian, Kaylee and Lucy, who had watched it all as well, seemed to notice whereas the rest of the crew clapped at Reepicheep's display. Lucy approached the knocked over barrel hesitantly.

As the crew clapped, Kaylee frowned sadly when she saw the little girl, who's father Rhince had become a crew member on the Dawn Treader, crawl timidly out of the barrel. She stopped her crawling at Lucy's feet and looked frightened up at the young girl. The teen frowned because she didn't think that this place was a place for a little girl, because of the dangers they could end up facing but also because there was nearly no escape from here.

''Look." Lucy's slightly shocked voice made the crew's laughter die down, the crew instead approaching to see what was going on. Kaylee was about to intervene, unease settling in her stomach of having to be the stern adviser, but Rhince beat her to it, "Gael?"

Rhince moved forward towards his daughter. "What are you doing here?" For a few seconds everyone just watched and for once, all eyes were not on Eustace who was still on his knees from his fight with Reepicheep.

"Here." Rhince closed the distance between him and Gael as he pulled her in for a hug. Kaylee watched the reactions of several crew members on the ship, and the sight settled the unease in her stomach slightly. They were smiling at the sight. But then her eyes flickered towards Drinian as he approached the father and daughter with the orange still in his hand.

Rhince watched his captain approach warily, not able to read the expression on Drinian's face. Gael stood as close to her father as she could and almost hid behind him when Drinian approached.

"Looks like we have an extra crew member." Drinian spoke softly before handing the orange to Gael with a small smile, Rhince smiling in relief. 

Lucy then approached Rhince and Gael, a soft smile on her face and her hands on her hips. "Welcome aboard."

"Your Majesty." Gael curtsied

"Call me Lucy." Lucy replied with a smile. "Come on."

"Come on, look lively!" A crew member then announced. "Let's get back to work."

"Shouldn't you go with them?" Edmund asked behind her as the rest of the crew went about their business once again, the excitement and revelations easily put into the back of their heads for later.

''No," she replied softly, suddenly feeling older than she really was. "I believe Lucy's got this one."

At sundown, another island was in front of them and Kaylee was summoned to join Caspian, Edmund and Drinian at the helm to discuss whether to stay the night at the island.

"It looks uninhabited," Caspian declared softly, "But if the lords followed the mist east, they would have stopped here."

"Could be a trap." Drinian offered.

"Or it could hold some answers." Edmund spoke.

"At least let us wait until morning to explore," Kaylee offered, looking between the two boys. "I'd rather not repeat the events on the Lone Islands despite its success in the end."

"Caspian?" Edmund questioned. Caspian removed the binocular from his eye, handing it over to Drinian. "We'll spend the night on shore. Scour the island in the morning."

"Aye, Your Majesty." Drinian replied. As Caspian stepped down, he sent a smile and nod towards the in laws, happy with their inputs. They holed anchor at the opening of the bay and rowed the rest of the way towards the small beach, just in time for the sun to set completely, leaving a beautiful purple color reflecting in the water and the sky.

They had started a fire and Kaylee was lying next to Edmund as she was curled up in a ball, trying to keep herself warm in the cool night, her weapon next to her alongside a map of the ocean. 

So happy to be writing again! I love taking this story and twisting it around to fit Kaylee in there. I hope you enjoyed this chapter just as much as I did. Please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated. See you soon!

-X Violet's-library