Chapter six

"Kaylee, wake up!'' She recognized Caspian's voice and she also guessed that it was also Caspian shaking her awake. She abruptly opened her weary and tired eyes and sat up so fast that the world was spinning around her for a second.

"What?" She shot up as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes. But when her gaze locked with Caspian's, his solemn look made her stomach twist uncomfortably.

"Lucy's gone." Caspian said.

Kaylee's eyes widened and as her eyes automatically narrowed towards the spot where Lucy had been sleeping next to Gael, and when she found that Lucy's spot was vacated and Rhince was comforting his crying daughter, Kaylee's eyes found their way back to Caspian, she found her heartbeat increase painfully.

"Look. The footprint." Kaylee followed Caspian's eyesight and exactly where he looked, she too saw one large footprint next to where Lucy had been sleeping. In fact, she noticed several of them around camp. She looked down and to her side. Including one next to where she had been sleeping.

"Get up you idiots! Queen Lucy's missing!" Drinian yelled. That was when Kaylee noticed that the camp was chaos as dawn was upon them and the sun was beginning to shine through. Everyone was running around frantically while gathering their things and getting their weapons ready.

''Kaylee!'' Edmund came running towards them, his face looking frightened as he without hesitation wrapped his sister in law into a tight hug.

"I'm so glad you're okay." He said quietly. Drinian came running up to them with Caspian, Edmund and Kaylee's gear in his hands. He handed Caspian and Edmund their weapons first, and as he handed Kaylee hers.

"This way!" Caspian commanded, not letting any more words being said between the in-laws as he and Edmund led the way.

Lucy felt many things as she cautiously walked through the halls of the so-called 'oppressor' as the invisible creatures or very large persons, who had taken her, expressed it. She was frightened, who wouldn't? She had and would always try to see the best in people, but these – whatever they were – had threatened not only her on her life, but also her family and friends.

"Edmund and Kaylee must be worried." She thought as she wondered if any in the company had even woken up yet. Walking silently around in this dark and sullen mansion had done something to her, because she couldn't remember how long she had been walking around, trying to find this so-called 'Book of Incantations'.

Lucy normally loved adventures; it gave her a sense of independence and maturity, but she had to admit right now, she would have done whatever to have at least Kaylee with her.

Her in law sister always seemed to know what to say, and she was brave. She was a role model to Lucy, always had been – Kaylee was too – but Kaylee seemed more relatable. But as Lucy grew older, she refused to admit it, ashamed of herself, but she had also begun to grow envious of the way boys had begun to look at Susan when she walked in the streets or at school. She was jealous of Kaylee's relationship with Peter, jealous of in how high regard Peter held her, and maybe worst of all, she felt this pit in her stomach when she thought of the bond Edmund and Kaylee shared.  The pair seemed more like brother and sister than she herself did with Edmund. Lucy was so ashamed of her malicious thoughts that she blushed. This was so unlike her, and she honestly didn't know where those thoughts came from.

This could surely not be any kind of normal, even unnormal. The company had gone from walking heavily through sand to walking lightly on the greenest and well-mowed grass with weirdly formed trees and bushes around them. Kaylee's senses were on high alert as she walked in formation with Edmund and Caspian, whom like the rest of their crew except for Rhince who was pretty preoccupied with a frightened Gael, had weapons at the ready.