26| I still love you

It's deja vu all over again

It's deja vu all over again. I find myself in a waiting room, by myself, as I wait for the anatomy scan. The only difference this time, is that it isn't James'; it's David's.

Yet I still feel as alone as I did last time.

The anxiety is killing me. I'm afraid they are going to find something wrong. The thought of our baby not being okay sends a shiver down my spine.

I take a deep breath trying to calm my nerves.

I check my clock again. I've been waiting for the ultrasound tech for 10 minutes, by myself.

"Sarah Collins." The tech says breaking my thoughts. She gives me a soft smile while I stand up.

"Is anyone joining you today?" She asks innocently.

I clear my throat uncomfortable by the question; she didn't mean anything by it.

"No, just —"

"I'm here!" David yells as he is running toward me.

A chuckle escapes me at his dramatics.

"Just kidding." I respond with a smile, feeling so relieved he was able to make it. "The daddy is joining us today."

"Follow me." She smiles and leads the way.

"I didn't think you were coming." I whisper to him. 

"You're kidding? I wouldn't miss this." He says throwing his arm over me.

"But, what about your group?" I ask concerned. I don't want him to stop going because of me.

He gives me a bright smile, "went to an earlier time."

We went inside and I lay back in the reclining chair.

"Okay, Sarah, I am going to have you unbutton your pants a little. Then I'm going to put this gel on." She says showing it to me, "it was in the warmer so it shouldn't be too cold." She says.

David takes my hand in his, stopping it from the shaking I didn't know about.

"It's going to be fine." He smiles while rubbing my hand, calming me instantly.

:::

"I'm pregnant." I let it hang in the air as I wait for David to process.