1| 3 years, 8 months, and 3 days

I am sitting at the somewhat crowded bar by myself on this Saturday night. I am continuously checking my watch as I wait somewhat impatiently. I didn't want to come tonight to begin with, but my mom insisted it would be good for me.

I am sipping on my white wine trying to ignore the men clearly gawking at me. They can stare all they want, just as long as they stay far away from me. I am not in the mood to try and be polite. I am single by choice and it will stay that way for the foreseeable future.

I check my watch again. 7:15. He was supposed to be here at 7:00, this is ridiculous.

I take another sip of my wine hoping that it will calm me down. I am really not excited to see him and I am just as angry as I was last time I saw him.

"Excuse me," a man with dark brown hair says as he approaches me. He is attractive and all, but not interested. "I couldn't help but notice you're sitting here alone. Do you mind if I buy you a drink?"

"No, thank you." I say putting a fake smile on my face and trying to sound as polite as possible.

"Are you sure?" He asks, "a pretty single woman like you shouldn't be by herself on a Saturday night."

"I'm sorry to burst your bubble." I say annoyed, "but just because a woman is by herself does not mean she is single." I say showing him my left hand that holds my beautiful white gold 1 karat engagement ring and wedding band.

"Sorry, about that." He stumbles on his words before walking away embarrassed.

I attempt to take another sip of my wine, but realize it's gone. The bartender, noticing my empty glass, quickly replaced it with a filled one.

"You're still wearing your rings?" He says timidly approaching me.

I don't look at him because I am not sure how I will react when I do. "Why would I take them off?" I snap back.

"I wasn't trying to offend you, just breaking the ice." He defends.

I check my watch. 7:30. "Well, if you were here on time, I might have been a little nicer."

I feel him come sit at the bar in the stool next to me. I don't look at him and he doesn't speak. He orders a water from the bartender.

"You're not drinking?" I ask.

"No." He says softly, "I thought because of the situation I should keep a clear head."

I nod my head before turning the stool and facing him. I am met with short sandy blonde hair and blue green eyes filled with regret. 

"You wanted to talk." I get straight to the point.

"I wanted to see how you have been doing, Sarah." He says nervously. "It's been awhile."

"3 years, 8 months, and 3 days." I say irritably.

He doesn't answer.

"Do you want to know how I know exactly how long it's been, David?"

"No need." He says defeated.

I ignore him. "It's kind of hard to forget the day you hear the love of your life is dead."

He closes his eyes showing my words are hurting him. I don't care.

"You have the audacity to tell me you want to see how I have been doing when it's been that long." I say with venom in my voice.

"What did you expect me to do?" He asks frustrated. "I've tried reaching out plenty of times, but you cut me out of everything." He takes a deep breath before continuing, "you blocked my number, restricted me from any social media outlets that would give me a hint on how you were doing. I am surprised you even let me at the funeral."