21| You said you loved me

I stand outside in the crisp cold air, waiting for someone to answer the door

One would think I wouldn't have to knock on the door of my childhood home, but it hasn't felt like home for years.

I take a second to look at all of the things that remind me of good memories. Still not sure what made it all sour.

I see the basketball hoop hanging on the garage roof that my father and I used to use every weekend when I was a kid. The leaves have fallen off all the trees that scatter around the front yard. Which reminds me of the time we would rake all the leaves as a family and then play in them.

I really don't know what happened. It was just one day, a flip switched in my dad, and the kind family man turned into a regretful old man who didn't care how he treated anyone.

The door swings open and my mom greets me.

"Sweetie," she says softly "I am so glad you're here." She says hopefully, "I made your favorite birthday cake."

"I wanted pumpkin pie, since it's thanksgiving, but your mom insisted." My dad says with no enthusiasm.

My mom gives me a sorrowful look before turning to my dad, "It may be Thanksgiving, but it is also our son's birthday and we should celebrate that."

"Fine." My dad responds as he walks away.

My mom places her hands on my face lovingly, "Tell me everything that's going on in your life."

My mom is so kind. She doesn't deserve what my father puts her through. He isn't as mean to her as he is to me, but he still doesn't treat her like a husband should treat his wife.

I remember growing up, they were so in love. Always stealing kisses, being touchy feely, and making suggestive comments. All of which I was unsure what they meant when I was so little, but when it stopped I realized how important those things really were.

There are times, I still see the man that loved her, but the dad I had, is gone.

After having some one on one time with my mom, my dad joins us as we sit down for dinner and it's silent.

My mom, always the peacekeeper breaks the silence, "this is so great to have a family dinner to celebrate thanksgiving and your birthday." She offers me a kind smile.

My dad rolls his eyes, "we could do this more often, but our ungrateful son over there never visits"

I ignore his comment and continue to eat. Which angers him more.

"Well, don't you have anything to say for yourself?" He raises his voice, "your mother here worries too much about you, but do you care?!" He yells. "No, because you're too busy drinking yourself into oblivion."