12| I kissed him

Exactly 20 minutes later, Samantha and Blake arrive

Exactly 20 minutes later, Samantha and Blake arrive. Luckily, they have a key, which means I don't have to leave the solace of my bed.

Sam taps lightly on my bedroom door before coming in.

It's still dark out, leaving my room as black as a cave. The light that shown from the hallway into my doorway when she opened the door, hurt my eyes.

Samantha takes in my state. I haven't looked in the mirror, but I can only imagine how I look.

Her eyes fill with concern. "What happened?" She asks before crawling into bed with me and taking me into her arms. I snuggle up to my older sister trying not to break down.

"I don't know." I say at a loss for words.

She gives a dry chuckle. "Sorry, that was a silly question." She says as she rubs my back. "I know what happened. What I don't get is why did it happen? How did it happen?"

"It just happened." I say softly, not knowing what else to say.

She doesn't pry any further. She rubs my back and holds me while I continue to shed a few tears; just like she did years ago.

Samantha really is a great older sister. She has always been there for me.

:::

It's been two weeks since James' funeral. That's about how long I have been laying in this bed. This place shields me from the truth.

James isn't here anymore.

But here, in this bed, I can close my eyes and almost feel him laying next to me, holding me. I can imagine hearing his soft breathing when he sleeps, and smell his cologne that complimented his natural scent perfectly.

I've tried getting out of bed, but then reality comes crashing down. And I can't handle that.

Everywhere in this place reminds me of him. When I walk into the kitchen, I am reminded of how he loved to cook. He would have me sit at the counter and watch him while he put on a 'show' for me, pointing out every time he learned something from Gordon Ramsay.

In the living room, is his stupid Xbox. The same one we had a silly fight over because he bought it without telling me. Like it really mattered?

And don't let me get started on the bathroom. Yes, a bathroom sets me off. When I go into the bathroom I see the empty tooth brush holder and I cry.