3| Need you to stay awake

I walk into the bar and grill at 6:45

I walk into the bar and grill at 6:45. I'm nervous to see her. I want to make sure I am on time, because I don't want to make her more upset with me than she already is.

I knew she was stubborn, but I never thought she could hold a grudge for this long. But, I understand why she blames me; I blame me.

I look to the bar and see she is already here. All the resolve I had has vanished. She is as beautiful as I remember, long blonde hair that is always in waves, skin with a beautiful glow, a flawless face and a loving smile that could brighten anyone's day.

Before I realize what's happening, I leave the bar and go and sit in my car.

I don't know if I can do this. I tried really hard to be there for her after it happened. She pushed me away every time.

I didn't stop though, not until about 6 months ago. She denied every olive branch I extended. Then she blocked me.

I am not one to let a woman scare me, but she isn't just any woman.

I need to man up and go in there. I have to remember my promise.

:::

"Sarah, it's David." I say into my phone trying to sound calm. "Don't freak out, but James had an accident and is being rushed to Mercy hospital."

She is yelling at me through the phone. Worry, anger and fear apparent in her voice.

"Sir, are you coming with us?" The paramedic asks.

I nod my head and make my way into the back of the ambulance.

"Just meet us at the hospital. It's about an hour away from you, drive safe." I say to her before I hang up the phone.

James is bruised up pretty bad and it's evident he is in a lot of pain. The paramedics say there isn't anything more they can do until they get to the hospital. They are giving him oxygen to help him breathe. Luckily, he is conscious and lucid, which I hope is a good sign.

"David," James says through labored breaths, "Sarah..."

"Don't." I interrupt him knowing what he is about to say. "You are going to be fine." I say trying to sound confident.

"You need to hear this." He begins to say, "just in case."

I nod my head.

"If anything happens to me..." he takes a breath from his oxygen. "I need you to look after Sarah. That woman is strong willed and stubborn, and she will push back, but you need to push back harder."

He begins to weaken.

"I know she will do everything she can to help others and will neglect herself. I don't want her to be unhappy." He says struggling.