7| I ruined your life, I get it

I wake up to my phone buzzing

I wake up to my phone buzzing. I look at the clock, it's 2 am, who is calling me?

I don't look at my phone, I just answer. "Hello." I say groggily, my eyes still closed.

"Heyyyyy Sarahhhh."

My eyes shoot open.

"David, why are you calling me at 2:00 in the morning?" I ask. I am feeling too many emotions; anger, surprise, sadness, hate, regret, and shame. Being that I am 22 weeks pregnant, the roller coaster of emotions is the norm for me recently.

"Well, you never answer anyway so I thought I would just leave a message." He slurs.

Great, he's hammered.

"Well, I'll hang up. Then you can call again. I'll ignore the call then you can leave a message I won't listen to." I lie, I listen to all of them.

Although, I haven't seen David since the funeral, he has tried getting into contact with me. I could never get myself to answer. All of his messages are the same. He's sorry and he wants forgiveness. At this point, it doesn't matter if I forgive him or not, he needs to forgive himself.

"Please." He begs. I can hear the sadness in his voice.

"How much have you had to drink?" I ask.

"I dunno" he says intoxicated, "I've had a lil bit of this a lil but of that. Doesn't matter now, though cause it's all in muh belly" he says obnoxiously.

"You need to get some water and some sleep." I mother him.

"Please just stay on the line with me for a little bit?" He asks. "I miss him."'

There's no way he is going to remember this in the morning, it wouldn't hurt to let him talk. I take a deep breath, "I do too."

"It's been almost 5 months without him." He says softly.

"I know." I say. I don't know what else to say.

"Of course you do." He scoffs.

I roll my eyes. From what I remember, his drunkenness usually leads to mood swings.

"He was a great friend." He says with sadness and anger, "we told each other everything. He told me about how you two were ready to start a family."

My heart beats fast.

"He would have been ecstatic to find out he was going to be a father." He continues.

Tears well up in my eyes. My anger is back.

"Well, thanks to you, he never got to find out." I snap back.

"Yeah, yeah I ruined your life, I get it" he says annoyed. "What I don't get is why you chose to ruin everyone else's?"

"Excuse me?!" I yell into the receiver tears running down my cheeks.