19| You need to stop doubting that

"I'd be lying to you if I said this didn't make me nervous

"I'd be lying to you if I said this didn't make me nervous." I confess to David as we approach the hot air balloon.

"It'll be okay." He reassures me. "We are going to eat a picnic, you're going to drink some wine, and we will watch the sunset. It will be great."

Before we get into the basket, the pilot gives us his spiel about safety. Which I hang onto every word so that I know what to do in case something bad happens.

When it's time to step into the hot air balloon, David let's me go first. He offers me his hand, which I gladly take because although the basket is still tied down, it's hovering a little bit above the ground, since the balloon is already blown up.

David quickly follows and joins me.

I take a shaky breath as I prepare myself for take off. Deep down,  I  know I'm going enjoy this, but the waiting is giving me anxiety.

David comes up behind me and places his chin on my shoulder as his strong arms bring me close. I can feel the tension leaving my body immediately as I relax in his arms.

"You know, the second you and James talked about this, he had this whole plan in his head." He says before placing a kiss on my neck. "You know how he was." He chuckles. "It might not be as extravagant as he would do it... but I'm just glad I could do this for you since he isn't able."

I turn around in his arms and give him a kiss. "Thank you." I say against his lips. "It's perfect."

"Okay, folks!" The pilot says, "we ready to see something beautiful?" He asks as he pulls the lever down and the balloon begins to ascend more.

:::

James and I wake up to a pounding at his front door.

"Jameeesss!" David yells through the door.

"Go back to sleep," James whispers into my hair and kisses the top of my head before going to answer the door.

I close my eyes momentarily to try and resume sleep, but the noise of, what I assume is David running into things, was keeping me up.

I sneak out into the hallway to check that everything is okay.

"What happened, buddy?" James ask David as he holds him up and walks him to the couch.

"The usual. Haven't you heard? I'm a disappointment."  David responds with venom in his voice.

"Buddy, you need to stop letting him get to you." James says softly.