~15~

~a/n~

hello lovely readers, I hope you're enjoying the story so far!! I'm very excited I finished the very last chapter last night, I just need to write the few chapter in-between the big plot points and a few more chapters before it is done and ready to be edited!!

xoxo,

EA

Amaris

The scent of spice and pine fills my nose as I begin to wake up. My hands and head are pressed to a hard surface and the happenings of the previous night flood my memory as I take in the room around me. The room is much less extravagant from the guest suit I've been staying in and much smaller. The room holds a side table, a lamp, a very small fireplace, and is scattered with a few books. I let out a small morning yawn and push myself away from Anton's chest, and an embarrassed flush fills my cheeks.

"Hi," I say slightly shocked. Anton's eyes flutter open.

"Oh hi, I didn't see you were awake." His morning voice is gruff and lazy sounding. I sit up from the bed feeling an ache run down my body as I do. I let out a small groan. "Are you alright?" He asks, placing his hands on my back sounding genuinely concerned. Which both warms my heart and annoys me.

"I'm fine." I wipe sleep from my eyes and look up at Anton. "Why did you bring me in here?" His concern fades and is replaced by the wall he's put up, hard and cold.

"You were in pain, it's the only thing I knew to do to make it subside. Don't think too much into it." 

"I wasn't, it was just a question." I feel the grip around my waist and see he's still holding onto me. I shake off his hands and stand from the bed feeling too vulnerable. "I'm going to head downstairs for breakfast," I say walking to the door.

"It's 1 pm." He states from his position on the bed.

"Oh." Is all I manage to say in response. Anton gets up from the bed and makes his way over to me until our faces almost touch. "Uh what are you doing?" I ask my breath catching as he inches closer.

"Getting the door?" His eyebrows go up quizzically. He opens the door and moves past me leading the way downstairs. "I can get someone to get us some lunch if you're hungry." I nod and my stomach growls in response as I pace down the endless flight of stairs behind him. His eyes gloss over for a moment before he proceeds to the eating nook without another word. Anton sits down in his usual seat and I sit at the opposite side of the table as far from him as I can get.

"Are you eating with me?" I ask. Anton gives me a puzzled look.

"Well, it is my house." His voice has turned back to cold, and uncaring and it shakes me more than I wish it to.

"Right."

A few cooks come into the kitchen and begin to prepare food for us. The house falls quiet except the few clanking noises of dishes and the opening and closing of cabinets. After a bit a plate is set in front of me with a few vegetables and some meat I can't identify. I eat the simple meal happily and my stomach thanks me for it. The quiet is overbearing, it's not peaceful and calm it's awkward and demeaning. "So, where's Emi and Laura today?" Anton looks at me. Confused at the conversation I'm trying to make, honestly I am too.

"Are you trying to make small talk?" He sounds amused. "It doesn't suit you." I shake my head denying the truth, but not wanting to admit that I want to make conversation with him.

"No, I was just asking a genuine question." He nods.

"Laura is with Monday today. They're covering for me at a meeting. Vance is there too." I nod along. "Emi's mom popped in this morning to see her daughter and to finalize some paperwork on her mates behave with Vance later."